Media management utility for movie collection

JesseM

I'm looking for a simple way to manage my film and video collection. I use iTunes for my music collection because I like how simple and straightforward it is. It would be ideal to have a utility such as iTunes for organizing my movies so I can rate them, put them into playlists (smart playlists?), and sort them. My files aren't supported by iTunes and I'd rather keep iTunes dedicated to my music.

Is there anything out there that meets these requirements? Does anyone have any general recommendations?

i assume you are on a windows OS.

windows media player has this function and windows media center has the same with a nicer interface.

winamp is another one thats good for sorting media, primarily music thou but i think it does movies and pictures too

there are also media center plug-ins in win 7 that do a good job of maintaining and updating a movie library

Thanks for the suggestions Codisha, but I'm not really a fan of Windows Media Player and try to stay away from it in general because its too flashy and I find the interface and layout to be disorganized. Media Center also seems to do less in a more complicated way than what I'm looking for. Not to be overly nit-picky but it appears that WinAmp also has a more complex interface. I do appreciate the recommendations, thanks.

I really prefer utilities with the most simple and straightforward interface possible (minimalist).

I really prefer utilities with the most simple and straightforward interface possible (minimalist).

Guess that tosses XBMC out the window, but it's great (especially version 10) for the stuff you mentioned other than the minimalist UI.

I was looking around and saw Collectorz, looks like the kind of thing I'm looking for. I guess it's called a movie cataloging utility. Anyone have any input on these? Freeware would be nice :)

I used Collectorz a while back (they do more than just movie cataloging) but didn't remember it having the ability to actually play back or call an app to play back your files. It has been a really long time since I used it but I clearly remember that it wasn't free or even cheap. There have been a few knockoffs (I tried several freeware and opensource knock-offs) but I was doing it to get good html/xml exports. This export was done with Collectorz.

Back