Meet 'China's Apple': Xiaomi is the new king of the world's biggest smartphone market

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Chinese handset manufacturer Xiaomi has surpassed Samsung to become China's top smartphone vendor in the second quarter, according to Canalys. Xiaomi sold 15 million smartphones during the April-June period, a three-fold increase from a year ago.

Samsung, which was the market leader for the past couple of years, sold 13.2 million smartphones in the same period, down from 15.5 million a year ago. Another Chinese giant Lenovo, sold 13 million smartphones coming in at number three.

China is the world's biggest smartphone market, accounting for 108.5 million smartphone shipments in the last quarter, or about 37 percent of the total global shipments.

Xiaomi has now captured 14 percent of the country's smartphone market, while Samsung's market share now stands at 12 percent. Aside from the South-Korean company, Apple was the only other non-Chinese vendor among the top 10 smartphone brands in the country, selling 6.8 million iPhones in the last quarter.

Founded in 2010, Xiaomi quickly rose to success thanks to its competitive prices, focus on its own mobile software known as MIUI, as well as targeted marketing. Just last week, another market research firm Strategy Analytics said Xiaomi surpassed LG to become the world's fifth-largest smartphone vendor in the second quarter. The Beijing-based company is now targeting 10 countries for expansion, including India, Brazil and Russia.

Samsung slipped to the second spot in India, too, where Micromax, a domestic company, led the market for the first time in the second quarter.

Permalink to story.

China lucky number is 8. On touchscreen show 8 PM but 24h format 20.00
Not was hard decoding message, lol.

Yep these are young companies they all started in 2010 some 2009 from Android. They have nice pictures showing all the factory workers building tablets and they going to do the same with their smartphone too.

The pictures make you feel like your getting a well made product.

The title of this article should be "meet china's apple: Xiaomi is the new king of the world's biggest sitting duck target for copyright infringement"

LoL

Looks 100% like an iphone, I'd love to see apple trying to sue them in China.
if that looks like an iphone then you've never help an iphone in your hand :D

Are you looking at the poster in the image at the top of the article or maybe just ignorant?

Sure the device is physically larger (just like the samsung that got sued for 1mil $ ) but it has the exact same sharp corners and rounded edges as the iphone5 and even the middle button has the same little square in it.

Seriously look: http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_4-pictures-6518.php

The physical design of it is 99.9999995% the same as the iphone. Apple sued Samsung over something that didn't even look closely as much as their icrap as this.

Yep, looks a lot like my daughters iphone 4. Waiting to see if apple has enough common sense to NOT try and sue them.

Are you looking at the poster in the image at the top of the article or maybe just ignorant?

Sure the device is physically larger (just like the samsung that got sued for 1mil $ ) but it has the exact same sharp corners and rounded edges as the iphone5 and even the middle button has the same little square in it.

Seriously look: http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_4-pictures-6518.php

The physical design of it is 99.9999995% the same as the iphone. Apple sued Samsung over something that didn't even look closely as much as their icrap as this.

don't just rely on some pictures. I've put the 2 together next to each other. it's impossible in real life to think that it looks similar. the corners have a different shape even if it's a bit rounded (much sharper) and the buttons look different (how can three buttons that have no shape be the same as 1 round big button?). also the materials and other small differences make the device look very different from apple and samsung.
this is from me having compared the phones in real life. it's not just some photos. trust me. they look nothing like apple and samsung. it's actually closer to other android phones than those 2.

don't just rely on some pictures. I've put the 2 together next to each other. it's impossible in real life to think that it looks similar. the corners have a different shape even if it's a bit rounded (much sharper) and the buttons look different (how can three buttons that have no shape be the same as 1 round big button?). also the materials and other small differences make the device look very different from apple and samsung.
this is from me having compared the phones in real life. it's not just some photos. trust me. they look nothing like apple and samsung. it's actually closer to other android phones than those 2.

Clearly the irony here is just totally lost on you. I give up.

You DO realize that apple sued the pants off samsung for their galaxy tab and phones for stealing the design idea of apple of a rectangular device with rounded corners - that they own the patent on for some inexplicable reason.
So yeah they can sue any phone with rounded corners, doesnt matter if the size isnt the same, has more buttons, runs a diff OS and the corners are totally different.

Clearly the irony here is just totally lost on you. I give up.

You DO realize that apple sued the pants off samsung for their galaxy tab and phones for stealing the design idea of apple of a rectangular device with rounded corners - that they own the patent on for some inexplicable reason.
So yeah they can sue any phone with rounded corners, doesnt matter if the size isnt the same, has more buttons, runs a diff OS and the corners are totally different.
samsung stole more than just the look and feel of iphones :D they got what they deserve.

Back