Megaupload: MPAA wants data kept for lawsuits, scammers target users

Rick

Staff

The Motion Picture Association of America has requested that Megaupload's host, Carpathia, retain about 25PB (yep, that's petabytes) of data. According to Wired, this move follows an earlier appeal made by Carpathia where the hosting company had asked the court to relieve it from its obligation of hosting Megaupload's enormous data cache. Carpathia claims storing those files costs the company about $9,000 per month.

This information seems to conflict with earlier reports where the court supposedly gave Carpathia and Cogent its blessing to delete files.

Access to the Megaupload's files was abruptly cut amidst legal troubles, leaving the now defunct file locker's users in a lurch. Worried about honest individuals losing their legitimate data, the EFF partnered with Carpathia to retain Megaupload's user data until the organization could flesh out a plan to restore files to their rightful owners.

The MPAA says it intends to use that data for future lawsuits against Megaupload or "intermediaries". Although no details were given about who those intermediaries may be, MPAA vice president Howard Gantman claims the organization does not intend to sue individual users.

Federal authorities have copied about 25GB of data so far. There is no indication of how much data authorities will need or how much additional time will be required. As a result, the MPAA has also requested that Megaupload's frozen assets be used to fund Carpathia's ongoing expenses until the files are no longer needed.

While the fate of Megaupload's founders hangs in the balance, some scammers have begun doing what they do best -- preying upon unwitting citizens. 

It appears that fake settlement documents are being distributed to former Megaupload users. The documents attempt to exort money from these individuals by offering an option to pay an attractive out-of-court settlement or face prosecution. While this is not an unusual activity for real legal agencies, the documents are being deemed as bogus, replete with fake IP addresses, timestamps, a law firm that doesn't seem to exist and no specifics on what users will be sued for.

Permalink to story.

Good Lord I definatly see the MPAA using that data for their own agenda. What worries me is the term "Intermediaries". I certainly hope we dont see a ton of civil suits from this but we will. I worry about the legit users who have lost access to their data. I also worry about those ppl who were doing "illegal" downloads, pray they dont have a drop of your info cause it looks like the MPAA is truly gearing up to rape anyone who they deem violated the copyright laws.

"MPAA vice president Howard Gantman claims the organization does not intend to sue individual users."

Aren't "individual users" the one's that actually infringed on copyrights? Megaupload only provided a hosting service. Might as well hold telephone companies responsible for organized crime that happens on their lines.
Reminds me of the other day when the U.S. shut down a Canadian gambling site because U.S. residents were breaking the law.

To United States (companies and government):

Stop blaming others for your problems!

Well, where the heck is "Anonymous" when you really need them?

This seems like a good job for them, since they're all about "helping us"....:rolleyes:

They should quit that kiddy-hacker DDOS s***, and hack into Carpathia's servers and wipe the drives.

Whaddya think...?

I'm agreeing with Cranky on this one. I had my CV (Resumé to you Americans) and a load of games modding files on my account. What's the chances that they won't take my information and declare me guilty by proxy?

Well, where the heck is "Anonymous" when you really need them?

This seems like a good job for them, since they're all about "helping us"....:rolleyes:

They should quit that kiddy-hacker DDOS s***, and hack into Carpathia's servers and wipe the drives.

Whaddya think...?

They'll show up. They may not be the "good guys" but they aren't the **AA, which makes them, at least in some sort, a crusader. Whatever moral beliefs the MPAA/RIAA are on, they are stamping all over other 'rights'.

And how many of us are happily saving our data in a 'cloud' somewhere. It's just a matter of time until these guys decide they need to peek at that.

They'll show up. They may not be the "good guys" but they aren't the **AA, which makes them, at least in some sort, a crusader. Whatever moral beliefs the MPAA/RIAA are on, they are stamping all over other 'rights'.
Yeah, they're the Nazi faction of the Christian Far Right.

We should all just chip in and buy ourselves a big bunch of politicians, just like they do..

Anyway, if Anonymous does show up, they'll probably do an ironic and pointless DDOS on MegaUpload. (Just kidding).

Wasn't the "Carpathia" the freighter that came to the aid of the Titanic?

I've said this before, but it certainly bears repeating, "the "cloud" is a really stupid place to put stuff". (At least in your own name).

@CC
Perhaps they may find some ways to try their weaponry on MPAA/RIAA's ? But anyway, regardless of outcome of Megaupload or similar cases, I don't think they will be able to stop the shadow internet in any way, in essence they may hasten development of means whereby MPAA/RIAA's ability to catch anyone becomes harder and harder.

captaincranky said:
Wasn't the "Carpathia" the freighter that came to the aid of the Titanic?

I find the symbolism (and irony) of this realization amazing, since it's also true as far as names are concerned.

If Anonymous does decide to do something... it won't be for the users with data stranded on Carpathia's servers, it'll be for their own gain. That's how they seem to generally work, at least in the public eye.

Seems like some in the US Department of Justice and government individuals had MegaUpload account according to the founder Kim Dotcom, it would be funny if he releases what they were sharing.

http://www.3news.co.nz/Kim-Dotcom-US-govt-officials-had-Megaupload-accounts/tabid/412/articleID/246372/Default.aspx

Now you know ANON wont do diddly squat on this. There is no positive press, there is no political gain. Why would they bother? Seems since one of their members went rogue we havent heard much from Anon. Perhaps the ppl who got arrested really were the "head" of Anon. Besides this isnt the US govt. that has minimal resorces to call upon. This is the MPAA!!! They will just go out and buy themselves a nice little cache of hackers!!

I just happen to be reading a book series that has someone named Carpathia as the anti-christ >_>

If Anonymous tries anything, it will help the government convince the general public that there needs to be more bills to restrict freedoms online.

If Anonymous tries anything, it will help the government convince the general public that there needs to be more bills to restrict freedoms online.
The truly scary and ironic thing about that is, while the US congress can't get much of anything else done, they could probably rip legislation restricting internet freedom through in a heartbeat.....

I tell ya, it's like we voted the members of the RIAA and MPAA directly into public office ourselves

Back