Memory for motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

dank7737

I was reading the specs for a motherboard i am considering buying. under memory type it says sdram/ddr. i know what ram is, but whats the difference between sdram and ddr. do i need both or just one? and if so which one should i go with?

You only need one kind of RAM...

Are you sure it said SDRAM/DDR and not DDR-SDRAM?

The reason i ask is that the former card supports both types of ram, whilst the latter only supports DDR...

DDR is a faster version of SDRAM, as it has DoubleDataRate, which means double throughput of data... :)

If I were you I'd go for DDR as long as the board supports it, as it is faster whilst not being to expensive...

I'd also try to find a board which doesn't support both SDRAM and DDR, as they're usually performing a bit worse than a DDR only board...

.02$

Thanks a ton man!

The motherboard i am considering is the SOYO P4S DRAGON ULTRA DDR 333 SIS645/961 400MHz FSB SOCKET-478 MOTHERBOARD

What do you think of that board?

also who manufactures good ram?

Originally posted by dank7737
Thanks a ton man!
The motherboard i am considering is the SOYO P4S DRAGON ULTRA DDR 333 SIS645/961 400MHz FSB SOCKET-478 MOTHERBOARD
What do you think of that board?
also who manufactures good ram?

From the conclusions I've just read about this board, it looks good :)

And the fact that it supports DDR 333 is nice...

As for memory...
Crucial is good... They usually have an ad in the lower right corner of the front page (and of the forum), so click it and take a look at their offerings...

Can't really think of any others right now, but just wait a bit, and either someone will post a couple of other brands, or my brain might start working, and I'll link to some more...

I also buy ONLY Crucial RAM and highly recommend it. I also get nothing for saying that. As far as I'm concerned, Crucial is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back