Memory upgrade leaves me with no video

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbhall

as purchased, my PC memory was 2x256 Mb Samsung M3 68L3223FTN-CCC
which is 256Mb PC3200 DDR-SDRAM 400 Mhz data rate cas latency 3-3-3

I have bought 2 x 1Gb OCZ4001024V3 which is PC3200 DDR-SDRAM 400 Mhz cas latency 3-4-4

Having swapped and rebooted, there is no video so I cannot even see the bios. Replacing the original memory and everything works as before,

The motherboard is ASUS K8V-MX with an AMD 64 3000+ processor. The video is onboard VIA/S3G UniChrome II Graphics

Please can someone tell me if I have bought the wrong memory, or can I do something like reset the cas latency before swapping the memory ?

Despite the fact that Samsung generally manufacturers quality RAM, it might just not be compatible with your motherboard (outside of the base specifications). Attached below is a QVL list for your motherboard.

Any second now, you'll have 2-4 TechSpotters plowing into your thread screaming about how lousy ASUS boards are and how they are extremely finicky with RAM. You'll probably get a link to a "guide" about RAM thrown at you too.

Have you tried seating only one of the new modules? Maybe one is okay and one is defective?

No luck - I tried either strip in each slot without success, so it looks like a fundamental incompatibility. I am trying for a bios update next.

With the 512Mg back in, I examine the bios.

the settings I could have are
memclock auto or limit. Currently auto.
If limit then memclock to CPU can be
1:1 or DDR200 (which seems to be the auto setting)
4:3 DDR266
3:2 unmarked
5:3 DDR333
2:1 DDR400
Bank interleaving enabled or disabled. Currently disabled
Cas latency auto, 2.0, 3.0, 2.5 Currently auto
TRCD auto, 2,3,4,5,6 Currently auto
TRAS auto or 5 to 15 in steps of 1 Currently auto
TRP auto,2,3,4,5,6 Currenlty auto

Try attaching the new RAM and clearing your CMOS.

If that doesn't work, the best that I can conclude is that for one reason or another your integrated VPU just doesn't play nice with the new RAM (assuming it doesn't have it's own dedicated memory). If it does have it's own dedicated memory, disable memory sharing between the integrated VPU and your RAM.

Personally, I'd probably return that pair and try another set of modules, however, if you want to continue using your new RAM, try purchasing or borrowing a PCI or AGP VPU and see what results.

Took your suggestion to clear CMOS but it didn't work. I have now given up and will RMA the memory.

This has been a hard lesson, because clearing the CMOS messed up my boot and printer. Got that back ok by restoring the saved copy of my bios. Previous to that, I downloaded the three latest bios updates for the board from asus/ami, but all of them were rejected bcause 'Rom file romid is not compatible with existing bios romid' (I believe meaning the board is really an OEM variant so no bios update is going to work). Finally removing and inserting memory several times caused an imperceptably tiny bit of plastic to fall into a memory slot and for ages I could not work out why the memory would not seat properly.....oh, dear, many hours of trouble, I feel fortunate I managed to get back to where I was....

My apologies for not stating the effects of clearing the CMOS.

RMAing the RAM and replacing it with something off of the "QVL" is probably your best bet.

Don't let this experience discourage you in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back