Memory Upgrade Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

schizoid77

Is it ok to use 2 different brand names. For example..I already have a Crucial 512 stick, and I want to upgrade another 512, can I use PNY's memory along with Crucial or will that cause problems of any kind?

As long as the memory is the same type, then who manufactured it doesn't actually matter. I have mixed PC133 SDRAM in my PC and with various sizes and never had any problems.

Well, it depends on your motherboard...

If you've built the 'puter yourself from scratch, you shouldn't see any problem, but if you're using a prebuilt (Dell, Compaq etc), you might experience problems...

In those cases, the motherboard doesn't have the same compability as it would otherwise, as it's supposed to only be upgraded by the manufacturer... This is why you'll see memory makes like Crucial have a wizard to let you find out what memory you can use with your (prebuilt) computer...

thanks guys. I installed the 512 PNY stick, and everything seems to be working fine, and now I'm runnin 1gb pc2100....woooo. didn't think I'd notice a real difference going from 768 to 1024 but it's def. noticeable :)

btw, it's an HP Pavillion series....and the 2nd memory slot is the biggest pain in the *** ever to get to......

Normally they are with pre-built systems from Dell, HP/Compaq, etc. Especially Compaq. I've worked with Compaq PC's to install hardware and sometimes I really want to question the logic of some stupid BS that they put in these systems.

just for future reference....It is accually good to keep the same brand and speed for ram...
Although it will work with different brands, even different speeds, there are different speed ratings from one ram stick to another, such as CAS Latency , RAS Precharge Timmings and RAS to CAS Delay Timmings
Keeping the same brand and speed will better off performance wise;)

I need to ask this. I have an Asus P4P800 Deluxe and right now I am running 2 512 sticks pc2700. Can I add two more sticks of 512 any brand so long as it's pc2700. TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back