Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am going to buy a new computer, but I don't know what type of memory I should buy yet. I intend to use this computer for multitasking and gaming/multimedia

3.072 MB 800 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2 x 1.024 + 2 x 512]

or

4.096 MB 800 MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [4 x 1.024]

Does it matter that it gets it memory from 2 different sources [2 x 1.024 + 2 x 512] or 1 source [4 x 1.024]. And does it matter that it uses 4 slots?

I would say go with the Same Size Option and use the 4x1Gb sticks this will rule out any Incompatibility Issues that may occur with 2 different size RAM sticks.
You can get issues with mixing different size sticks, I damaged my HDD permanently and had to replace it when I mixed the RAM, they were the same Manufacturer and everything else just different size Memory (512mb and 1Gb RAM sticks).

It doesn't matter if you use 4 slots.

Are you using a 64bit OS?
If you aren't using a 64bit OS then you only need 3Gb max.
If you are using a 64bit OS then you are ok with either RAM set you put above but you should use the 4 1Gb sticks for the reason I mentioned above.

Hope that answers your question.

Hmm, I'm not sure what OS I use. How can I find what bit OS I use?

Processor: Premium chassis - Intel® Core™2 Quad Core Q6600 Proc. (2,40 GHz, 1.066 MHz, 8 MB cache)

If you go to 'control panel' and select 'system' you will see which version of Vista that you have. Use the 4 Gigs in the 4 slots. There is no substitute for lots of ram. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back