Messenger problem 80072745

Status
Not open for further replies.
post the complete error message, also which version/build of messenger and OS are you using?

I assume it says "We were unable to sign you in to the MSN Messenger, possibly because of a problem with your Internet connection. Please try again later. 80072745"

download a new, clean, installation and reinstall... then check your firewall to see if it's blocking msnmsgr.exe... this is all the advice I can give for now, I'll research deeper and see what else I can do

if you're interested in windows live messenger (MSN messenger 8) download it here and here (need both parts), I'm not absolutely sure yet if you'll need a beta subscription to use it... I don't think so; but if so, mail me with a request and I'll hooka brotha up...

and also post your internet connection, firewall, changes to the system/environment also any other usefull info....

Installed live messenger

hello, I installed live messenger and the error code 80072746 pops out it says that probably i cant log in because a problem with my internet connection or firewall i turned off the firewall already.also i tried reinstalling messenger 7.5
and i ran all the windows updates but when i tried to upgrade IE, i couldnt ofcourse because im not running a purschased version of windows.

also tried using some other programs like trillian to sign in but it does not work. however, with webmessenger i have no problem.thank you and sorry for the problem

helping you with your pc problems is our game..

I never upgraded IE for the same reason as you (and because IE is nonsense)

which firewall are you using?

also try this for me

go to START>Run..
then type "ping 192.168.100.1 -n 50" (without quotation)
and after this cycle finishes, post your packet loss (% loss)

"ping 192.168.100.1 -n 50"

when i run it it says " request timed out" , i have mcafee and windows firewall. the windows one is off

turn off the macafee firewall as well..

but before you do that, go run through the stickies on this subforum about cleaning your pc from virus/warez and try again. follow all instructions to the letter, and if you're stuck on something then tell us the problem.. then try connecting again..

then try (in msn messenger)
[tools>options>connection>Connection TroubleShooter>Start] and give that a whir to see if it fixes it..

limited or no connectivity

hello, I tried removing the viruses and asking for the messenger to repair it but did not work for the opposite, in the way an icon saying that the lan connection is limited ir no connectivity.
i can still acces to the internet but my connection is limited i cant still connect to messenger or anyother program, i tried some radio stationsbut it says that i have a problem with my connection

you're using a wireless connection, aren't you?

this is your problem, your signal isn't strong enough

Same problem.

80072745 error. It doesn't appear to even attempt a connection to the msn server. Its an almost instantaneous rejection. Happens on all of my accounts (3). Could be related to spyware/viruses as I was badly infected this week. I would normally put this down to a firewall, but I have none running. I've used AVG Free, Microsofts Malicious software checker as instructed by the troubleshooter, and Spyware Doctor to look. There is very little pre-existing advice for this problem, other than the generic crap. Any ideas?

By the way, I was using 7.5 and thought that maybe using Live Messenger (.689, the latest) would fix the problem. Apparently not. Same thing.

Web messenger works fine, so its not my account.

MSN Messenger is one of those programs that when it screws up, it screws up (and may take a few casualties with it). Usualy a troubleshooting step one goes through would be (finish one step, then try loging in again etc):

1. MSN Connection Troubleshooter
2. download any WinUpdates etc.. and scan for any nasties (virii, warez)
2b. reboot the pc, reboot the network/internet connection
3. Poking around in MSN's settings.. including proxy, firewalls, ports etc..
4. Likewise as above, poking through Internet Explorer's settings, and hence, also the rest of window's network/internet settings
5. Network ok?
6. Check through see if your other internet games/instant messneger/email clients/browsers etc does work..
7. close down every other programs that may/may not use the connection to the internet and see if that works.. or boot in safe mode if its easyer :)...
8. registry (backup first), task manager, and poke around em for a bit..
9. reinstall msn..
10. give up hope, and just use web messenger or a client msn messenger :p..... (sorry, couldnt help myself)

one note is that a full wipe and reload of windows "magicaly" fixes all problems.. as well as throwing that pc out the window...

If MSN Messenger doesnt want to connect, and some of your other programs wont connect as well, then there is something blocking the connection or ISP problem or actual server problem (some cases) etc.., you may have to open a port or some fixit to make it work...

Fixed.

It appears to have fixed itself. No idea why. It just... works.
I emailed Microsoft support, and they replied and gave this advice (see attachment). Whilst I can't reccomend it personally - being that it was working again before I tried their steps - it seems sensible enough. Good luck to everyone else.

Attachments

• support.txt
    6.2 KB · Views: 202
i'm having trouble with my windows live messenger. i try and sign in and it tells me i can't sign in, error code 80072745

i try repair it via troubleshooting and still nothing. i have uninstalled and installed it time and again. there are times i can get in, but the majority of times it won't happen for me

any assistance on this right royal pain in the hole will be greatly appreciated

Hi guys

I've been facing messenger 80072745 error for long time and i've tried everything posted on the internet till i found a solution which worked for me .

I have a Netgear router and with disabling the uPnP
Messenger is now working fine .

HAD THE USUAL 80072745 PROBLEM TRIED ALL THE PROBABLE FIXES FROM MICROSOFT TO NO AVAIL,

IF U ARE USING A NETGEAR ROUTER THE PROBLEM IS PROBABLY WITH THAT
TRY UGRADING THE FIRMWARE FOR THE ROUTER OR BACKROLLING THE FIRMWARE FOR THE ROUTER WORKS FINE FOR ME NOW AFTER HAVING THIS PROBLEM

NinjaAx

Solution

In the end I found that it's a compatibility problem with certain anti-virus software and certain routers.

The way to solve this is to UNINSTALL the anti-virus software completely (switching it off will not work), reboot without any anti-virus software, and see if your Live MSN Messenger work. You should find that it logs in without any problem. If that is the case, use another anti-virus software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back