MetroPCS is being rebranded, bundled with Google One and Amazon Prime

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: T-Mobile next month will rebrand its prepaid service to Metro by T-Mobile, shedding the PCS suffix and hopefully, the negative stigma associated with prepaid wireless services.

T-Mobile is rebranding its MetroPCS prepaid wireless service in the US in an effort to shed the “outdated perceptions” that prepaid is synonymous with cheap flip phones, bad credit and limited coverage.

Metro by T-Mobile launches next month with two new plans that include some noteworthy perks. The new $50 plan includes “unlimited” LTE data, 5GB of LTE mobile hotspot data and a subscription to Google One. The top-tier plan starts at $60 per month for a single line and grants 15GB of LTE mobile hotspot data, Google One and Amazon Prime. Additional lines can be added at $30 extra per line per month.

Metro’s existing $30 and $40 plans persist albeit without the added Google and Amazon perks.

MetroPCS merged with T-Mobile in 2013 but remained a separate brand. Metro has grown to cover to 323 million people, up from just 103 million in 2013.

Earlier this year, T-Mobile announced plans to purchase Sprint for $26 billion but that deal is on hold as the FCC is taking additional time to examine it.

Metro customers may notice a difference in speed compared to T-Mobile customers during times of congestion due to network prioritization, we’re told, but otherwise, both use the same network. What’s more, customers that use over 35GB of data per month may see reduced speeds during times of congestion until the next payment cycle kicks in.

Permalink to story.

So as I understand it, you can now call MetroPCS and change to one of the new plans. You can "upgrade" and pay $20 more per month to have Google One (seems like 100GB cloud storage, current cost $2/mo!) included. Or you can "upgrade" and pay $30 more per month to have the Google One and Amazon Prime (Prime being less than $10/mo).

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the value here unless maaaaaaybe you want the unlimited data. I'm always on wifi so the 2GB/mo is plenty for me personally. I'll keep my money, and my current plan...

So as I understand it, you can now call MetroPCS and change to one of the new plans. You can "upgrade" and pay $20 more per month to have Google One (seems like 100GB cloud storage, current cost $2/mo!) included. Or you can "upgrade" and pay $30 more per month to have the Google One and Amazon Prime (Prime being less than $10/mo).

I'm sorry, I'm not seeing the value here unless maaaaaaybe you want the unlimited data. I'm always on wifi so the 2GB/mo is plenty for me personally. I'll keep my money, and my current plan...
the said "value" here doesn't show it's face if you're only looking at the plans metro has offered previously. At least from a money stand point. But comparing these no contract plan pricings to other competitors' pricings and what they offer, these plans are a very nice value if you can benefit from the perks they're offering. verizon doesn't give u any perks, they had that go90 garbage but.....lol. sprint (who im currently with) offers 6 months of free tidal hifi with certain unlimited plans which isn't bad. at&t offers directv and tmobile offers netflix. All of those perks require a contract. T mobile is going to be the first prepaid company to offer worthwhile perks with their already unlimited data + hotspot, which I think is pretty neat. 50-60 bones for unlimited data, 5-15 gigs of lte hotspot and either 100 gigs of cloud storage or both that + amazon prime? it's honestly a steal for a prepaid offering. also metros current unlimited data offerings are 50-60 bones. their current offerings that arent unlimited are 30 bones for 2 gigs of lte and 40 for 5 gigs, which is poop unless you don't need that much data. they're keeping they're old "not unlimited" plans but tweaking the current ones while keeping the same price and adding perks. you aren't being forced to change your plan, if I read correctly. It just seems like t mobile is the only company out of the major 4 that actually hands out nice stuff to their loyal customer base as a way of saying thank you. I don't see that elsewhere.

Last edited:
I like the new plans. But the name change seems a little dumb. Now people are going to be confused on what store to go to. I can see the metro people going to a tmobile store and being made that they went to the wrong store.

Back