Microsoft and NBC to end MSNBC joint venture

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft and NBC will soon put an end to a joint venture that began in 1996 when the software giant invested $220 million to claim a 50 percent stake in MSNBC, according to a report from The Daily Beast.

The two companies are planning to announce the split “within days” and although a spokesperson for NBC said no deal had been reached yet, he further pointed out that those conversations were indeed happening.

Officials plan to rebrand MSNBC.com as NBCNews.com once the deal is finalized and announced, as noted in the report. The new site would continue to be run by MSNBC.com chief executive Charlie Tillinghast but it’s likely that he and nearly half of the 300 employees on Microsoft’s campus would relocate.

A clause in the deal would call for Microsoft to continue to funnel traffic to the rebranded site for an unspecified amount of time. Nearly half of MSNBC.com’s traffic comes from Microsoft’s MSN network. Website employees have already been notified about the plans and how a potential deal would affect them.

The two sides held serious negotiations two years ago with regards to changing the name of the site to avoid confusion between the website and cable channel but nothing ever materialized.

Microsoft and NBC joined forces in 1996 but the two parted ways on the cable channel back in 2005. The site has maintained its position as one of the most popular online news sources on a global scale ever since with newsrooms in New York City, London and on Microsoft’s campus in Redmond, Washington.

Permalink to story.

what exactly has Microsoft contributed to MSNBC other than the name and plugging the site in its MSN network. I just don't see the logic of the two.

what exactly has Microsoft contributed to MSNBC other than the name and plugging the site

It shared Bill Gates liberalism. Now that Billy left to fight against human reproduction, Microsoft probably feels MSNBC slanted pseudo-news opinion entertainment is tarnishing it's reputation.

Imagine if Apple had 50% stake in Fox News. Would that make you want to buy an iPhone?

Lol, I was gonna make a post that said 'In before this gets political' and I thought... no.. there's nothing really political about it. I was wrong...

Bill Gates left years ago, and according to other news sources the reason is much more simple. NBC just wanted full control of their news site.

I worked at NBC for 25 years, it's been on a downward spiral for years. The result of awful programming decisions and awful leadership, Jeff Zucker....All they have left are the Olympics that is it. Most of my old co-workers are terrified about loosing their jobs.

I worked at NBC for 25 years, it's been on a downward spiral for years. The result of awful programming decisions and awful leadership, Jeff Zucker....All they have left are the Olympics that is it. Most of my old co-workers are terrified about loosing their jobs.

someone I knew lost his, at NBC news

hehehehhehehehehehheh....
Microsoft.. we came, we saw, we now know how to do the news and how NOT to do the news..

We Will be Back.. and you will be assimilated

Noooo I love msnbc ... now where do I get my news :(
Um, from the fair an balanced (because they say so) talking heads at Fox?

Nah. Guess I'm out of ideas. I've been going to the Sydney Morning Harald site for awhile (one of the few still profitable and editorially independent urban papers around) but it seems the SMH is about to lose editorial independence too. Australia's richest uranium mogul is suing to get her hands on their editorial policy, as if the world needs another Rupert Murdoch. Sigh.

So I'm going to miss MSNBC too, as it sinks back down to the generally dismal news reporting level of the NBC network. At least there are still a lot of independent news aggregator sites on the Internet.

Back