Microsoft announces Windows 8.1 with Bing for lower-cost devices

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has confirmed it’ll release a subsidized version of its operating system for affordable notebooks, desktops and tablets. Dubbed Windows 8.1 with Bing, this build will only be offered as a pre-install, not to individual users, and is based on the full commercial version of the OS. In other words, it’s not another Starter edition with significantly stripped-down options.

As the name suggests Bing is set as the default search engine within Internet Explorer. Beyond that there don’t appear to be any differences with Windows 8.1 Update, and you can still change search providers in IE’s settings.

Microsoft isn’t detailing how much less it will charge OEMs for the new edition, of course, but the idea is to pass at least some of the savings to end users while at the same time increasing Bing use. 

Some Windows 8.1 with Bing devices, in particular tablets, will also come with Office or a one-year subscription to Office 365.

“The end result is that more people—across consumer and commercial—will have access to an even broader selection of new devices with all the awesomeness that Windows 8.1 provides, and get Office too, all at a really affordable price,” Microsoft noted in its announcement. “Additionally, as reach expands, the opportunity for developers and their apps also increases.”

Devices running the new Windows 8.1 edition should be announced over the coming weeks, most likely during the Computex conference in Taipei.

The company has previously said it will also offer Windows 8.1 with no licensing fees for OEMs putting it on tablets smaller than 9-inches.

Permalink to story.

Windows 8.1 with Office 365 would be a far better name and a far bigger incentive instead of Win 8.1 with Bing. Hell, the 1st thing I'd do with this is change the search engine to Google before I even took the device out of the box and the next thing would be to install Chrome.

Last edited:
The next product announcement is the more expensive Windows 8.1 without Bing for the more discerning user.

This is actually a smart move, basically the home page will be Bing, lots of people using these cheaper devices are 1 of 3 things. Very cheap techies who can then customize the way they want, so there a happy customer (remember that's important), or they are a standard user who could find out how to change things but may or may not do so, so they will prob try Bing, and may like it. Then last but not least they are computer illiterate and have no idea how to customize the device and will learn how to use the device the way it comes(think ipad/iphone users) and MS gains more bing users/searches more ad rev and leading to profit. The vast majority of people will be group 2 and 3, and will be able to do what they want with the device, group 1 will be the most vocal but because they were allowed to do what they want they will be happy and therefore be spreading good things. The biggest focus for Microsoft is to keep laptop/desktop sales as high as they can, while pushing full force into the tablet market (a market they need at least 20-30% share to be profitable int he coming years). Everything Microsoft has done with Windows 8 since launch has shown this is there strategy, get laptops and desktops cheap so people will update, while at the same time pushing there OEMs to make windows 8 tablets that very across all the price ranges (gotta say those 8" windows 8 tablets are killers deals, usually on sales for less then $250 now). It seems to be somewhat working and I can see this version of 8.1 helping even more, specially when the Cherry trail 8" tablets start moving later this year.

Then last but not least they are computer illiterate and have no idea how to customize the device and will learn how to use the device the way it comes and MS gains more bing users/searches more ad rev and leading to profit.
Those are the ones that will likely use the browser hijacker called Chrome, because they will use whatever takes control and never know anything is different. And in the event MS gains nothing.

Isn't Bing free anyway? Oddly, all I have to do is open Firefox, and pick it out of a drop down. It actually works quite well for fast, fast, fast, relief, from stubborn Google captchas

I'm sure you all know already that Bing is free. But really, is the audience for these tablets so insufferably stupid, they would think it's a valuable add-on?

Another point, let me see a show of hands, off all the people who think that PC makers pay Newegg like prices for OEM Windows copies anyway.

After all, isn't this really the demographic(*) that M$ forsook its desktop and industrial clients for, when it dropped the turd that is Windows 8 in the first place?

So this must be their end game, drop your pants on the price, and make your money in "volume". Other than the fact that Android exists, it sounds like a strategy, of one sort or another....:D

With that said, while M$ is touting "Bing" as a favor to customers, the fact is, if they do penetrate the mobile with their search engine, it puts them in a better place with respect to how much they can charge for advertising spots.

(*) "Demographic". In this context take it to mean, "lowest common denominator".

Last edited:
So folks who buy standard PCs with W8 are subsidizing folks who buy tablets! That is hardly going to help the PC market.

Windows 8.1 with Office 365 would be a far better name and a far bigger incentive instead of Win 8.1 with Bing. Hell, the 1st thing I'd do with this is change the search engine to Google before I even took the device out of the box and the next thing would be to install Chrome.
I just don't understand this hate for Bing. It's actually a very decent search engine easily in the same league as Google!! I don't even use Google for much anymore.

Not necessarily. Because the cheaper "accessible" devices are meant for seniors and non-tech people. People that might not have the knowledge (or care) to change the existing settings and use them. I personally think this is a win/win situation. For those of us that know what's best, will have access to a cheaper device with all the functionality we want and for those who doesn't know/care how to change settings will only boost MS statistics and exposure. But that's just my opinion!

Wow. That is cool. Add garbage(bing) to garbage(windows 8.1) and sell it for less.

Wow. That is cool. Add garbage(bing) to garbage(windows 8.1) and sell it for less.
Wow. That IS cool. An example of ignorance at its best, plain as day for all to see.

So folks who buy standard PCs with W8 are subsidizing folks who buy tablets! That is hardly going to help the PC market.

Where did you get the impression Microsoft gave a frogs fat @$$ about its millions of customers who made them billionaires? LOL. Microsoft will throw your @$$ under the bus faster than you know what hit you if they can make an extra dollar or two.

Windows 8 is nothing more than a shopping application posing as an operating system while targeting teeny-boppers with disposable income.

I thought the release of Windows 8 was a testament to the fact that Microsoft could care less about traditional operating system users. But glad you finally see the light!!!

Where did you get the impression Microsoft gave a frogs fat @$$ about its millions of customers who made them billionaires? LOL. Microsoft will throw your @$$ under the bus faster than you know what hit you if they can make an extra dollar or two.
Did I state that MS cared about its customers? Quite the reverse.
Windows 8 is nothing more than a shopping application posing as an operating system while targeting teeny-boppers with disposable income.
That is a little unfair because with a few tweaks it works in a similar fashion to W7. However I do agree that MS are attempting to find new revenue streams. It is very unclear if they are succeeding especially as they are losing a fortune on the Surface.
I thought the release of Windows 8 was a testament to the fact that Microsoft could care less about traditional operating system users. But glad you finally see the light!!!
It seems with W8 they have turned their back on Enterprise users.

Back