Microsoft builds prototype keyboard that recognizes gesture-based inputs

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft keyboard gesture-sensing

Microsoft has created a prototype keyboard that blends traditional typing with gesture-based control. Crafted by a team at Microsoft Research, the Type-Hover-Swipe keyboard uses a 16 x 4 array of infrared proximity sensors positioned between the keycaps of the mechanical board to track a user’s hands as they touch the keys or hover just above them.

Sensor data is only recorded at 64 pixels but it’s still enough to capture fingers and other parts of the hand moving above the keyboard. The sensors operate at high frame rates – above 300 hertz – which is plenty fast enough to capture quick movements.

Supported gestures include swiping down to scroll down a page, switching between applications using hover gestures, scrolling side to side with swipes, pinching to zoom and even controlling a car in a video game using a virtual steering wheel.

What’s different about Microsoft’s offering compared to something like the Leap Motion gesture control system is that you don’t need any external hardware as all of the necessary components are built right into the keyboard.

It’s unclear at this point if Microsoft has any plans to commercialize the technology on their own or if they are aiming to license it out to a third party like Leap. Either way, it looks a lot more practical than some of the gesture-based products already on the market and could certainly complement the existing mouse.

Permalink to story.

At least the huge spaces makes it easier to clean.

But will this have enough precision to replace touch screens somewhat?

I honestly don't see how this is any faster or better than the keyboard/mouse combo. Especially in business applications.

I honestly don't see how this is any faster or better than the keyboard/mouse combo. Especially in business applications.
Yeah as cool as this is, I feel like a mouse and keyboard is still better. And you dont look like a freak xD.

It looks like a mini apple keyboard with the square rounded and flat keys. Why is microsoft always copy apple? Apple hires microsoft to write software for them and they become a competitor in the OS software? How 1976 of them. Now they do the same thing with keyboards. Apple tolerates so much copy. Screen swipe. Acrilic cases. Pop up keyboards on all android devices now. Firewire. USB. Mouse. All in one flat screen computers with slot load cd roms. Not cool world not cool.

It looks like a mini apple keyboard with the square rounded and flat keys. Why is microsoft always copy apple? Apple hires microsoft to write software for them and they become a competitor in the OS software? How 1976 of them. Now they do the same thing with keyboards. Apple tolerates so much copy. Screen swipe. Acrilic cases. Pop up keyboards on all android devices now. Firewire. USB. Mouse. All in one flat screen computers with slot load cd roms. Not cool world not cool.

Yes, lets not forget Apple owes its very existence to that lowly company. Damn, who does Microsoft think they are, throwing large sums of money at such an insignificant and undeserving competitor!

It's pretty interesting. The way we interact with our modern keyboards hasn't changed since the 1800's. I'd rather use gestures than talk to my computer, I think you look a little less silly.

It's pretty interesting. The way we interact with our modern keyboards hasn't changed since the 1800's. I'd rather use gestures than talk to my computer, I think you look a little less silly.
Agreed. I think this is a pretty good effort and much better proposition than the leap motion device. If all you need to simulate a touchscreen swipe is to move your hand across the keyboard a few CM above it then that would be awesome. I'm just not sure how it would distinguish between me wanting to just type something and me want to swipe.

Back