Microsoft confirms Windows 11 22H2 update is killing game performance, pauses rollout...

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Microsoft has acknowledged that the Windows 11 22H2 update is causing game performance issues for some users. The company says it is working on a solution for the stuttering, framerate drops, and screen tearing. Until a fix is ready, it will be pausing the update for affected devices.

The Windows 11 2022 update, also known as the 22H2 update, started rolling out in 190 countries in September, bringing with it a slew of upgrades for Microsoft's latest operating system. As is often the case with updates of this size, it also added several unwanted bugs.

Reports that 22H2 was causing game performance issues and blue screens of death arrived quickly. In the case of the former, complaints ranged from just one game being affected, G-Sync and the audio also experiencing problems, and only Nvidia GPU users being impacted.

Soon after those reports landed, Nvidia said that upgrading its GeForce Experience app would resolve the game performance-related issues. Now, over a month later, Microsoft has finally acknowledged the problem. It explained that the Windows update has caused some games and applications to inadvertently enable GPU performance debugging features not meant to be used by consumers.

The Redmond firm says that it has now paused the 22H2 rollout to those devices it believes will be impacted by the performance issues. The company advises those affected by the safeguard not to manually upgrade using the Update Now button or the Media Creation Tool.

Microsoft notes that if you've already installed 22H2, the tearing, stuttering, etc., in games might be fixed by updating games and gaming-related apps (such as Nvidia GeForce Experience) to their latest versions. Microsoft adds that it is working on a resolution, which will be included in an upcoming release.

For those who find updating their games/apps has no effect, the only solution guaranteed to work is the most obvious: rolling back Windows 11 to its previous version.

Microsoft lists several other issues caused by the Windows 11 22H2 update, including printer, audio, and sign-in bugs. You can check out the complete list here.

h/t: Windows Central

Permalink to story.

Users are the beta testers for Microsoft.
100% true starting with Windows XP, all were more or less unfinished on release.
I know corporations that hang to Win2K Pro long after Win7 was released. And their upgrade path was XP SP3 not Win7. Nobody I know in big environments tests a new os before the "SP1" release.
Home usage is the opposite, new OS is embraced day one or in Beta releases.
Never had issues at home with any OS since the Vista days.

100% true starting with Windows XP, all were more or less unfinished on release.
I know corporations that hang to Win2K Pro long after Win7 was released. And their upgrade path was XP SP3 not Win7. Nobody I know in big environments tests a new os before the "SP1" release.
Assemble the mob!

As if Windows 98 was a good release (they needed 98SE to make it usable) and ME is still a meme. Let's not pretend that this is something "recent".

I've not noticed any dropping in the performance so far. Everything is OK here.

As if Windows 98 was a good release (they needed 98SE to make it usable) and ME is still a meme. Let's not pretend that this is something "recent".
I was talking about Windows releases based on NT Kernel, 95 and 98 are not based on it.

I was talking about Windows releases based on NT Kernel, 95 and 98 are not based on it.
What he probably doesn't realize is that ME was horrible because MS made the brilliant decision to release an OS after removing parts of DOS, things that drivers and hardware relied on.

It was an incredibly stupid decision. But the fact remains that MS continues to do incredibly stupid things that cause performance issues. It's not even just performance issues, we just want to use our computers the way WE want to use them.

They nailed it with 7, pushed a tablet OS on us with 8/8.1, and early windows 10 was a really solid operating system.

I really makes me angry that they keep changing things like default browsers, menu items, user control and data collection.

I'm affected by this and have experienced about 20% lower framerates on average, but massive stutters in some games. Tried DDU and that didn't work. Was about to reinstall Windows entirely until I saw this. Warframe, for example, went from completely smooth locked 140 FPS to hard freezes and stutters constantly. I thought my drive was failing or something and tested that too, but nope.

Guess I'll have to see if I can even roll back at all.

I want Linux to finally get HDR working, so I can remove Windows from my gaming PC.

The problem is that it applies to "certain games" but Microsoft isn't saying which games those are. Don't mind being on the original release but would prefer to know which games are causing the problem so that I can make the decision to move to 22H2 or not as the new features (Android app support and tabbed file browser in particular) are things I'd like to try out.

I'm using windows 11 22h, haven't seen any issues so far. Could be that the game I'm playing already fixed the problem. Either way let's hope MS and any other apps are working on this fix asap.

I am so relieved that I took the plunge and dumped Windows entirely after 10 release. Last couple of years have been awesome, just using Linux desktop, for all my work productivity and gaming in 4K 144Hz. Linux is just getting better and better while Windows is still relentless, unpredictable garbage, with major regressions and bugs.

I'm not seeing a difference. Might it be a problem that only shows itself on certain systems?

This came up a few months ago. It was primarily affecting NVIDIA hardware rather than AMD at the time.
Though I'm not sure if it has manifested with AMD hardware as well.

What he probably doesn't realize is that ME was horrible because MS made the brilliant decision to release an OS after removing parts of DOS, things that drivers and hardware relied on.

It was an incredibly stupid decision. But the fact remains that MS continues to do incredibly stupid things that cause performance issues. It's not even just performance issues, we just want to use our computers the way WE want to use them.

They nailed it with 7, pushed a tablet OS on us with 8/8.1, and early windows 10 was a really solid operating system.

I really makes me angry that they keep changing things like default browsers, menu items, user control and data collection.

It wasn't simply the removal of MS-DOS, fact is it was still there for the most part, just inaccessible to the end user. The biggest problem was M$ originally was going to dump the 9x kernel with Windows 2000 and then changed their mind. It was decided that game performance wasn't where they wanted it, and networking was too complicated for the average home user. So they decided to create one last 9x version before XP became the unified enterprise/home user OS. Their biggest mistake was they rushed it so it could be released for the year 2000 and they could call it the iconic Millennium. The department to blame for ME was marketing more than any other one...

It wasn't simply the removal of MS-DOS, fact is it was still there for the most part, just inaccessible to the end user. The biggest problem was M$ originally was going to dump the 9x kernel with Windows 2000 and then changed their mind. It was decided that game performance wasn't where they wanted it, and networking was too complicated for the average home user. So they decided to create one last 9x version before XP became the unified enterprise/home user OS. Their biggest mistake was they rushed it so it could be released for the year 2000 and they could call it the iconic Millennium. The department to blame for ME was marketing more than any other one...
DOS was "still there" but ME was marketed as an easy to use OS that non computer savvy people could use. Meanwhile, it had tons of driver issues because most hardware at the time had 95 and 98 drivers that relied on DOS. So if you knew what you were doing it wasn't a problem, but ME took a good bit of f**kery to get to work. It had a compatibility layer, but some hardware had 98 and 95 drivers so running the compatibility layer could create EVEN MORE problems.

Here's an idea... How about Microsoft NOT releasing updates that cause problems in the first place? Do they have monkeys working there who don't actually understand what it is that they're doing?

Here's an idea... How about Microsoft NOT releasing updates that cause problems in the first place? Do they have monkeys working there who don't actually understand what it is that they're doing?
Testing in this day an age is joke by all companies, from MS, Google, Apple etc...Games do it too. No one is held accountable anymore. We accept it and wait for the fixes to come. It's unfortunate but that is the way it has become.

DOS was "still there" but ME was marketed as an easy to use OS that non computer savvy people could use. Meanwhile, it had tons of driver issues because most hardware at the time had 95 and 98 drivers that relied on DOS. So if you knew what you were doing it wasn't a problem, but ME took a good bit of f**kery to get to work. It had a compatibility layer, but some hardware had 98 and 95 drivers so running the compatibility layer could create EVEN MORE problems.
Maybe. But it was rushed more than any other OS before or since. Let's put it this way. I tried a copy and on a completely fresh install as I was playing solitaire it hard crashed. Rebooted, and it did it again. If any OS can't be stable when under that light of a load? Yeah, it's more than just drivers, it's the whole OS. Vista OTOH was mostly down to driver issues since MS moved to a new driver model with the OS. Me was simply a failed cash grab, nothing more.

Back