Microsoft Delays Windows Update Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

It looks like Windows Update Services, a new tool designed to let system administrators keep PCs and servers up to date with the latest patches and bug fixes, won't be delivered until some time in the first half of 2005. Originally, the tool was planned to debut this year.

"The company said the delay will allow developers to incorporate changes suggested by people who tested the product. Also, Microsoft developers are busy with a new Automatic Updates agent that will be incorporated into Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2), a long-awaited revamp of Windows XP. The necessary integration of Automatic Updates into SP2, and required testing, in part contributed to the delay, according to the company."

Windows update services is the rebrand of software update services... I find it a godsend when you have 6 servers (each with around 20 xp/2000 clients hanging off of them) Sure i hope the client part is configurable.. but in an office environment where the server administrator is'nt always on site to keep the clients up to date WUS/SUS is invaluble as part of the remote maintanence of a network. Just my £1.50 :)

Godzilla.

"SBS 2003 ate my mouse!!"

Too bad, WUS was my last project before I ended school, it is such a good product, only a shame that we will have to wait so much longer for it... :(

The number of delayed Microsoft releases recently demonstrates the strain that must be going into creating Longhorn.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
The number of delayed Microsoft releases recently demonstrates the strain that must be going into creating Longhorn.

Or making IE secure.
deadfunny.gif

Well, you can still turn off automatic updates using SP2 RC2. So I imagine it isn't mandatory.

I'm sure you can always disable the service etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back