Microsoft explains quantum computing in this easy-to-follow video

Shawn Knight

Staff member

We often hear the term "quantum computing" tossed around among technology and computing enthusiasts but, what exactly does that even mean? Truth be told, I suspect most probably don't have the slightest clue as to what quantum computing is all about (and that's perfectly fine).

Microsoft posted an informative three and a half minute video earlier today that gives an easy-to-follow overview of quantum computing. It's broken down to a level that most anyone should be able to follow. And for those looking to delve a bit deeper on the topic, head over to the Station Q site for a lengthy read on the subject.

Found is a TechSpot feature where we share clever, funny or otherwise interesting stuff from around the web.

Permalink to story.

How does quantum computing require simplification? @captaincranky figured out the entire framework in one evening while contemplating the principles of breast physics and their influence on visual gravitation. It ain't that hard.

Wow this is why I love dumbed down things. hahahaha. So let me see you can have 2 states at the same time. So why not 4 or 8 at the same time. hahaha. Here is the thing scientists don't realize that the state of mater is not wave and mater at the same time it is different times it is just that time is so fast on the quantum state that it seams at the same time. Things are faster in the miniature world. Ever photograph a bee and thing you photographed 3 bees but when you look close at the picture you notice that the other 2 bees have ghosting in the picture. What exactly happen? The flash goes off makes the bee freak out and jump and since the flash duration was not fast enough the bee is now seems to be in 3 places. No that is speed of small things. I think the same is true with mater. The time is so fast that we just cannot capture such small portions of it yet that would give us just one state of matter. Simple so there is not 2 states of mater at a time but one just the time frame we capture is too long. Simple. Not a complicated thing. Why make such a mysterious observation? Is that necessary to impress us? We are not impressed but up haled at the condesention.

Sounds like they are trying to create a digital blonde to me. The computer that doesn't know the answer, and is as wishy-washy as anyone that has ever walked this planet. Welcome to the future of blonde jokes.

BTW: I am a blonde.

Sounds like they are trying to create a digital blonde to me. The computer that doesn't know the answer, and is as wishy-washy as anyone that has ever walked this planet. Welcome to the future of blonde jokes.

BTW: I am a blonde.

It only counts if you're hot and female. Your blondness is invalid.

Wow this is why I love dumbed down things. hahahaha. So let me see you can have 2 states at the same time. So why not 4 or 8 at the same time. hahaha. Here is the thing scientists don't realize that the state of mater is not wave and mater at the same time it is different times it is just that time is so fast on the quantum state that it seams at the same time. Things are faster in the miniature world. Ever photograph a bee and thing you photographed 3 bees but when you look close at the picture you notice that the other 2 bees have ghosting in the picture. What exactly happen? The flash goes off makes the bee freak out and jump and since the flash duration was not fast enough the bee is now seems to be in 3 places. No that is speed of small things. I think the same is true with mater. The time is so fast that we just cannot capture such small portions of it yet that would give us just one state of matter. Simple so there is not 2 states of mater at a time but one just the time frame we capture is too long. Simple. Not a complicated thing. Why make such a mysterious observation? Is that necessary to impress us? We are not impressed but up haled at the condesention.

You are WAY off pal. Aside from clearly missing a huge segment of your education at the most basic levels as confirmed by your incredibly annoying spelling errors and horrible grammar, your understanding of Quantum Mechanics and its influence on MATTER is totally off and your presumption to know what your talking about should be a crime against all that are exposed to it.

Simply said, your premise in simplifying the observation conundrum and their "spooky action" as it relates to Quantum Mechanics has absolutely NOTHING to do with our lacking ability to measure due to, "Things are faster in the miniature world." First and foremost, as per the Laws of Quantum Mechanics, matter is a wave and a particle AT THE SAME TIME until it is actually at the point of time that it is measured. In other words, upon measurement, the state of the properties of matter have become frozen in time via the method of measure, I.e. via a snapshot from a camera. Prior to and after the particle/wave continues to take the form of BOTH a wave and/or particle until at such time it is observed again at measurement/observation. Predicting what form a particle/wave will take in a future observation can never be 100% resolved, but merely predicted via a statistical odds solution. Hence, Einstein's conclusion of "spooky action".

What is purely so annoying about your statement is your frivolous presumption that you claim to have figured out the behavior of matter by something so laughably naive and you actually believe that the most capable scientists for over the last 100-years have not taken your "solution" into consideration.

Where 99.99999999999% of all qualified students and scientists in Physics would've read your conclusion and walked-off while giggling and shaking their heads, I took the time to shoot your premise and conclusion full of holes at the onset....so, you're welcome.

Now please; go back to school and learn elementary grammar and spelling and avoid all things more complex in your subsequent endeavors...

Its the observation that forces nature to collapse to one reality.

Schrodingers cat is probably the most well known example of this.

For me, quantum computing is just a mathematical gimmick and nothing more.It appeared when there were no CUDA or HSA, now the same thing could be done with classical programming with massive parallel processing.I could explain why and demonstrate how the actual quantum theory is flawed, but I'll be in disagreement with 99.999999% of scholars and scientists more conservative than me, so what's the point of that? I leave this ingrate task to technology, which does not care about scientific consensus. Hope we could remember those days with a smile in 10 to 20 years from now, when things would have been sorted out.

I feel like this is very wrong, and leaves out the key details that the entire media tends to overlook. First of all, being able to store three values instead of two has absolutely no benefit. Microsoft has gone a step forward in not saying that, but instead they say that a single qbit can perform two operations at once, due to being able to be a 1 and 0 at the same time. That's complete nonsense, and not at all how it works. Quantum computing is fundamentally different than traditional computing. It operates on predictable probability. An algorithm is run thousands of times, with many different results. Whichever result appears with the probability you would expect, is the correct answer. This may sound like guess work, but it isn't. I'm not an expert, but I know enough to debunk the media, and apparently Microsoft. I was heavily disappointed to see the software giant following in the footsteps of the media and explaining something they don't even come close to understanding.

For me, quantum computing is just a mathematical gimmick and nothing more.It appeared when there were no CUDA or HSA, now the same thing could be done with classical programming with massive parallel processing.I could explain why and demonstrate how the actual quantum theory is flawed, but I'll be in disagreement with 99.999999% of scholars and scientists more conservative than me, so what's the point of that? I leave this ingrate task to technology, which does not care about scientific consensus. Hope we could remember those days with a smile in 10 to 20 years from now, when things would have been sorted out.

That would be because the media (and apparently Microsoft) heavily misunderstand quantum computing. It has nothing to do with being able to store three values, and it has nothing to do with being able to execute more operations per bit. (In fact, that part was completely wrong).

Frankly, I find it insulting when marketing people use foreign accents to try and convince me they know what they are talking about. If you know what you're talking about you don't need gimmicks.

Looks like quantum computing will crack passwords REALLY FAST
Especially when the password can be any number of passwords at the same time!</sarcasm>

They will have to show how real world examples actually works, before I can buy into quantum computing.

Edit:
To me this resembles using a random number generator to get a mathematical answer. They are trying to prove it works because it gets the correct result periodically.

Once again, the major problem about quantum computers is completely ignored. A quantum computer is extremely limited in the types of problems that it can solve. So limited that there is really only two or three applications that a quantum computer can do. The main one is cracking present day computer protection codes (cryptography). The other main use is to allow us to study, in remarkable detail, the interactions between atoms and molecules. That's it, folks. TWO WHOLE APPLICATIONS. Mind you, the second may be hugely important in the future but it will be 10-20 years to build, run, and program a quantum computer before any progress will be made.

Frankly, I find it insulting when marketing people use foreign accents to try and convince me they know what they are talking about. If you know what you're talking about you don't need gimmicks.
Does this mean you'll never, ever be a GEICO customer? I mean they do have the cutest little lizard with an Aussie accent for a "spokesperson".

Last edited:
Back