Microsoft inks Android patent deal with Acer, ViewSonic

Jos

TS Evangelist
Microsoft has added two more companies to the list of Android device manufacturers paying it royalties over mobile patents: Acer and Viewsonic. The agreement with Acer covers Microsoft's patent portfolio…

Read the whole story

aj_the_kidd

TS Rookie
Whilst MS are entitled to the royalties because they have the patents, I still don't like this move:
Microsoft on the other hand is using its patent arsenal to deter Android's growth, with added costs and legal complexity, while making its Windows and Windows Phone platforms more attractive to OEMs.
But i guess that's how they got so successful in the first place.

lawfer

TechSpot Paladin
aj_the_kidd said:
Whilst MS are entitled to the royalties because they have the patents, I still don't like this move:
Microsoft on the other hand is using its patent arsenal to deter Android's growth, with added costs and legal complexity, while making its Windows and Windows Phone platforms more attractive to OEMs.
Not quite.

That's how <i>anybody</i> becomes successful in the first place.

aj_the_kidd

TS Rookie
lawfer said:
aj_the_kidd said:
Not quite.

That's how <i>anybody</i> becomes successful in the first place.
If only i had something worth patenting :(

G

if your apple, you just patent something thin retanglular, with a button, and sue the crap out of anyone who has anything else. even remotly similar, and if its not, photoshop it until it is.

G

I patent time machine. I patent teleportation machine. When someone actually build the machines, I'll sue you.

The judges handling the cases are inadequate to make rulings.