Microsoft intros InstaLoad battery technology, forgoes polarity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Microsoft has announced a new battery technology called InstaLoad that lets users install batteries in any direction, without regard to polarity. "Never again will people have to squint to see battery installation diagrams - the device simply works regardless if the battery is installed positive-side-up or positive-side-down," the company said.

Along with making life easier to consumers, Redmond believes InstaLoad could be handy in many industries, including law enforcement, military, construction, outdoor sporting, and camping. The technology is compatible with popular off-the-shelf disposable and rechargeable batteries in sizes such as CR123, AA, AAA, C or D.

Microsoft is offering a royalty-free license program to suppliers and manufacturers of accessibility products for people with hearing, vision or learning disabilities. You can find more information on other licensing options in the press release. Third parties are supposedly "lining up to endorse the technology" for use in their own products.

Two such companies are Duracell and flashlight-maker AE Light. There's no information on when we'll see InstaLoad used in products by those companies – or any others for that matter.

Permalink to story.

Is it just me or is this a bit of a stretch for Microsoft to have been working on this? I mean sure they have involvement with many battery powered products but yeah it is out of the blue and I have to wonder if this was really the best use of their resources...Duracell or AE would have made more sense to have this tech instead of just endorsing it haha

Yeah, does seem unusual for MS to work on something like this...
Maybe this explains Vista, The Kin device LOL.

They must have just stumbled on this technology by accident or some engineer just had a random idea. Although seemingly minor, this is still a good thing.

GG Microsoft

Hmmm...very interesting. I'd like to know how these batteries will perform compared to what we have right now.

An effort to make the population that much lazier........................................................................................................................................................................... opps sorry.. forgot to pick my hand back up.

This is interesting technically, but it seems like they just designed the technology and picked a use for it, rather than finding a problem and designing a technology to fix it. I can't think of one time the polarity of batteries has ever caused me grief.

technochicken said:
This is interesting technically, but it seems like they just designed the technology and picked a use for it, rather than finding a problem and designing a technology to fix it. I can't think of one time the polarity of batteries has ever caused me grief.
I have to agree, I have never really had issues looking for the + or - in my remote or flashlight :p.

Has Microsoft not figured out that the negative side is flat and goes against the spring in whatever device you are using - thus negating the need to try and read the signs? I do not think I have ever come across a device that worked differently.

seriously, is it that hard to put in batteries in the right way?

...is there any point to this product at all? does the batteries last longer? Can you charge them faster? ...anything?

Microsoft is offering a royalty-free license program to suppliers and manufacturers of accessibility products for people with hearing, vision or learning disabilities.

For people wondering if this product has any real use... this is the primary factor. I can't tell you how much trouble my 90 year old grandma has putting batteries in her hearing aids because she can't tell which side is which.

And for the average user... this is really just an upgrade and an advancement in technology. I don't see why anyone would be complaining about it.

I don't see a lazy factor in this, its just simpler to open the cover and dump the batteries in carefree. It can actually cause EXPLOSIONS in some devices if put in backwards, so it has safety reasons. Then again, I guess since its Microsoft people just turn negative instantly.

@ treeski and tengeta,

I stand and applaud you two! The reasoning you guys put in were what went through my head when I read this. Good to see someone thinking rather than just reading and talking without thinking things through.

Lot of appartuses have buit-in anti reverse polarity. And if they have not they don't deserve your money and they deserve to be sued ! I've read that some granny would appreciate that kind of technology to change her electronic earbud battery. Nobody to help her ? Sons of b... !
But here, I just see an other attempt from Microsoft to dig deeper in our wallet and rule another business that is not their... I believe that M$ desire for making big bucks is yet very crude. It will increase the cost of any (already well designed) goods. I refuse to pay for that ! And I will refuse to buy any merchandise using that technology.

I never had a problem with +/- but sure thank Microsoft hopefully it isn't like your real products... At least you aren't blaming the +/- for your crappy products like Apple would.

Speaking of which why/how/who decided MICROSOFT should be the company for this "revolutionary" battery? Energizer and Duracell must of, at some point, thought "hey, how can we improve 'the battery' or change it so more users would buy them"

If this is true..... it will be the biggest thing since sliced bread. They will make billions on this technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back