Microsoft kills Nokia brand, replaces it with Microsoft Lumia

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Following last month's reports that Microsoft is planning to kill the Nokia and Windows Phone brands, the company is reportedly set to make it official. "Nokia" will be replaced by "Microsoft Lumia" going forward.

According to a report by The Verge, the process will kick off in France, where the company will adopt the new branding for its Facebook, Twitter, and other social media accounts, and will move to other countries in the coming weeks. However, it isn't yet clear how the Redmond-based company will handle the branding on its future Windows Phone devices -- it could be just "Microsoft" or "Lumia", or the lengthier "Microsoft Lumia".

The move shouldn't come as a surprise given that several of the company's Windows Phone Store apps have already dropped "Nokia" from their names in the past few months. When Microsoft acquired Nokia's Devices and Services business last year for $7.2 billion, former Nokia CEO Stephen Elop, who joined Microsoft post acquisition, also suggested that the software giant won’t be pushing the Nokia brand for very long.

In addition, Microsoft's decision to sunset the Nokia brand will also clear up confusion regarding Nokia, the company, which continues to exist as a separate firm focusing on mapping and network infrastructure.

Permalink to story.

They day has come where I will make jokes about the indestructability of nokia's and children will look at me with blank faces....
Todays Nokia's, now owned by Microsoft, are just as durable. This is something that has always intrigued me, when people choose something like a Samsung device that breaks far more easily in less stressful situations than any Nokia would. They are rock solid devices, and the myth about the OS being its Achilles heal is laughable to anyone who's actually taken the plunge and bought one than to criticize from the side-lines. 5 minutes at a store, does not make you a critic. Sadly, Nokia, who's products to this day have been better than most other competitors, Apple included, is now done in the phone business. It saddens me when people talk of how great Nokia's of the past were but then failed to give the new products any chance to survive by actually owning one. This is why Nokia is no more, a great company, not for any other reason than its traditional users being drawn to the "Shiny" Apple's of the world with all their gimmicks. Microsoft has since matched those gimmicks, but yet, still no one came. I guess shiny looks count far more than grace and quality, although Apple's aren't bad in this department, just not as good and have only their highly overrated industrial designed looks and very tired design philosophy. Hopefully under Microsoft's curatorship the phones will remain as durable, but looking at the surface products it shouldn't be an issue.

They (Microsoft) effectively killed Nokia the day they purchased them.

Surely Nokia committed suicide the day they adopted the Windows Phone operating system? It is a bit like the Betamax verses VHS in the video tape war. The Lumia is considered a quality product but the smart phone apps were a bit thin on the ground.

Since I am in general rejecting Windows Phone OS, I know I will not buy a Microsoft Lumina. Since MS will not design an OS that pleases me, I'm more apt to using a hammer on any of their devices before actually owning them. I might have thought twice about Nokia, before they were bought out by MS.

Say "YES" to having options! Say "NO" to MS's narrow mindset, telling the consumer what they want.

Maybe microsoft should have just 'licensed' nokia's smartphone form-factor/style/patents and outsourced the manufacturing to foxconn, a common practice with other. nokia smartphone division would probably have existed to this day.
I'm calling the next Microsoft smartphone models: lumia sunset and lumia dawn.

Maybe microsoft should have just 'licensed' nokia's smartphone form-factor/style/patents and outsourced the manufacturing to foxconn, a common practice with other. nokia smartphone division would probably have existed to this day.
I'm calling the next Microsoft smartphone models: lumia sunset and lumia dawn.

HOw about the employees of nokia?? what will happen to them???

NOKIA Isn't just phones, here they also make big buck in tire industry + boots and other rubber based stuff. Telecom is also one of their divisions, so they have many places to go. Unfortunetly many have been laid off.

The Lumia is considered a quality product but the smart phone apps were a bit thin on the ground.
...and how do you think the situation will improve? With more people adopting the platform, thus attracting more development, or less people adopting the platform, thus making it less appealing for developers?
Since I am in general rejecting Windows Phone OS, I know I will not buy a Microsoft Lumina. Since MS will not design an OS that pleases me, I'm more apt to using a hammer on any of their devices before actually owning them. I might have thought twice about Nokia, before they were bought out by MS.
As per my answer to Railman, how do you think the platform will grow if no one wants to use it? Its not that it cant do everything Android can do, save for a few minor visual niceties, but does represent the middle ground between the complete openness of Android, and the closed nature of Apples IOS. You claim to want options, but then when presented with an alternative to Android, you divert the question. Hypocrite?

Say "YES" to having options! Say "NO" to MS's narrow mindset, telling the consumer what they want.

So just like the locked in system of IOS/Apple products?

I used to own a Lumia 920, and it was a fantastic phone for the year+ that I had it. The thing was rock solid and snappy. Everyone cries about the apps, but honestly I never had a time where I couldn't find an app that did what I wanted, even when there was an official app absent. I still miss that phone (stolen). I'm using a Nexus 5 now, but I'll probably grab another Windows phone again in the near future to see all the new updates, as the OS is pretty great despite criticism of people who have never used it outside of a phone store for 5 minutes. The common OS coming with Windows 10 should make WP even better.

Last edited:
Back