Microsoft partners with iFixit to make Surface devices easier to repair

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: Repair-friendly hardware means you’ll get to keep your device for longer, making it kinder to your wallet and the environment. Now, iFixit, the company famous for hardware teardowns, toolkits and repair guides, has announced a partnership with Microsoft in which the latter will allow it to manufacture and sell official Surface repair tools to authorized repair shops.

Microsoft’s Surface line, like most modern electronics, employs lots of adhesive to keep components in place. This makes repair jobs like screen or battery replacements tricky, resulting in most Surface devices scoring quite poorly in iFixit repairability scores. Microsoft is addressing the issue by working with iFixit to make its official service tools more accessible to independent repair shops.

In the announcement, iFixit revealed that it would launch three new Microsoft-designed tools for newer Surface models. The first is a display bonding frame that comes with thick foam rubber used to carry out screen replacements on the Surface Pro 7, Pro 8 and Pro X. The second is a battery cover for the Surface Laptop line to protect internal components, and the third is a debonding tool (or pick) designed specifically for prying open displays on the Surface Pro 7+, Pro 8, and Pro X.

iFixit's disassembly of the Microsoft Surface Pro X

Appreciating Microsoft’s stance towards making hardware repairing more accessible, iFixit said that these new tools would help technicians perform accurate, high-volume repairs, allowing them to match factory-level adhesion.

Repair guides for these devices are currently being produced, and more importantly, iFixit noted that this partnership wouldn’t affect how it tears down and reviews future Microsoft products.

Permalink to story.

Now, iFixit, the company famous for hardware teardowns, toolkits and repair guides, has announced a partnership with Microsoft in which the latter will allow it to manufacture and sell official Surface repair tools to authorized repair shops.

I thought it was I fix it, not I use a Microsoft sanctioned and authorized repair shop instead. I guess toolkits haven't been doing enough business they have to literally compromise their integrity at the very least with every single hardware product Microsoft releases or that anyone else competes with: "We gave this Apple device a low score for repairability, now go buy the one we got paid money by Microsoft for 'designing' and that has a high repairability score! As long as you use a Microsoft authorized repair shop of course!"

What a joke these guys are making out of themselves.

I thought it was I fix it, not I use a Microsoft sanctioned and authorized repair shop instead. I guess toolkits haven't been doing enough business they have to literally compromise their integrity at the very least with every single hardware product Microsoft releases or that anyone else competes with: "We gave this Apple device a low score for repairability, now go buy the one we got paid money by Microsoft for 'designing' and that has a high repairability score! As long as you use a Microsoft authorized repair shop of course!"

What a joke these guys are making out of themselves.
Don't worry!
"iFixit noted that this partnership wouldn’t affect how it tears down and reviews future Microsoft products."

So it's all good... a company would never lie about something like that :)

Of course... they didn't mention if this would affect how they review MS competitors... but I'm sure that would stay completely impartial...

Everyone worrying that iFixit has sold out needs to consider that iFixit was already in the "authorized repair" business. You can buy their tools to work on anything and these Surface-specific ones are no exception. Hopefully any concerns about iFixit's impartiality being compromised will prove to be unfounded.

I have an ifix repair kit and would love to add any extra tools to make other devices easier to repair. How is this a bad thing? I hate Microsoft but how are people going to get mad at iFixit for this? They've been calling MS devices junk for years and they'll probably still call them junk in the future.

Hell, iFixit is one of the few people who consistently criticized surface devices for their lack of reparability.

Can they get iFixit to fix their operating system? I know iFixit aren’t a software company but that doesn’t mean they aren’t better than MS at making operating systems!

Also amusing that people are rushing to the defence of their favourite brand of tool. You can buy repair kits for a fraction of the cost of an iFixit kit, there’s nothing magical about iFixit. They have just pushed marketing to reinforce their brand and gained a bunch of dumb loyalists. Now they’ve sold that brand to MS. Smart moves considering they only really make basic tools..

We'll see where this goes. Considering they do video reviews, it'll be hard to fake an easy fix score (especially when trying to fool techies).

Why does Microsoft need iFixit to sell these tools to repair shops?

I think that iFixit should consult with manufacturers to make their products easy to repair and service. iFixit tools should be for sale to everyone.

Back