Microsoft releases Windows 10 test build previewing a ton of new features

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Something to look forward to: Windows 10 Insiders got a look at the latest version of the operating systems today after Microsoft released a test build. There are 16 major changes in the pipe and dozens of optimizations and bug fixes. Here we take a quick look at a few of them.

Microsoft has just announced a Windows 10 Insider test build (18305). One major feature coming is a sandbox mode, which we covered in-depth this morning. However, Windows Sandbox is just one of over a dozen changes that are coming next year in 19H1. Some of the more notable features coming to the OS include a simplified Start layout, Kaomoji support, a new settings homepage, and a new Office app.

The new Start menu is more organized and clean looking. Programs occupy one column, and top-level tiles have been trimmed down. The change is part of Redmond's continuing tweaks to the Start layout that began with adding the ability unpin folders and tiles and uninstall additional inbox apps.

Emojis are already easy to use in Windows 10. Simply hit the windows key and period, and you get access to just about any emoji. With 19H1 users will gain access to symbols and Kaomoji as well.

If you’ve ever been in a heated texting argument and felt like flipping over a table, you know the frustration of trying to remember all the Alt key combinations to create (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻. With the upcoming release, users will be able to select from a wide array of Kaomoji.

Microsoft is changing the Settings homepage to be a bit more user-friendly. It is modeled after the Microsoft account homepage and features a heading at the top with easy access to OneDrive, Phone, Updates, and Rewards. The icons allow users to reach the most common settings quickly.

A new Office app will also be making its debut. It is designed after the Office web experience and streamlines the UI for more efficient use. The app has a hub for recently used files. Users will be able to switch smoothly between documents, spreadsheets, or other Office suite formats.

For enterprise users, it can be customized to include business applications built on the Azure Active Directory. Admins can also integrate corporate branding into the app for a unique professional look.

Other upcoming features include Windows Security app improvements, Clipboard history tweaks, password-less sign in, streamlined PIN reset, troubleshooting recommendations, automatic restart and sign on (ARSO) for enterprises, tweaks to File Explorer and Task Manager, and much more. You can check out a full list of features, changes, and bug fixes at the Windows Blog.

Permalink to story.

WOW! EMOJIS?!?! OMGWTFBBQ I CANT WAIT FOR THIS UPDATE:);):(:confused::laughing::p:yum:skull::skull::poop:;)

-said nobody ever

Hey MS, why not, you know, FINISH MERGING CONTROL PANEL AND SETTINGS MENUS ALREADY. You have been doing this since windows 8.1, it has been nearly half a decade and you STILL HAVENT FINISHED! Do you know how annoying it is to have to search through two different menus depending on what action needs done? Or how by moving stuff you have removed quick ways to do things "like join a domain or add a wireless network" meaning I have to take additional steps and backwards paths just to do things that need done? It is infuriating, and there is no excuse for a trillion dollar company like MS not being able to fix it. This is something linux gets right FFS.

Or, hey, maybe spend less time on emojis and more time on making sure your system updates dont constantly break things.

Last edited:
Start layout looks the same to me.... what's different about it?

The default Start layout used to be 6 tiles wide (2 sets of 3 wide). Basically they put all of the bloatware into a tiled folder to reduce the number of tiles in the default layout after a new or clean install.

Here's the old default layout:
Windows_10_Start_Menu.png

The default Start layout used to be 6 tiles wide (2 sets of 3 wide). Basically they put all of the bloatware into a tiled folder to reduce the number of tiles in the default layout after a new or clean install.

I see... but you could always remove or move those tiles and then made the Start menu smaller.This isn't a "feature", just a change to the default configuration.

From update to update, I am seeing my computers performing lower and lower. The cherry on top was an Microsoft update 1 year ago which ruined my gpd win 1 ability of playing older games. With microsoft support on it for 2 hours and we couldn't make it work. Why it took 2 hours? Because, albeit it was doing ok with a vanilla install, after a couple of windows "updates" it was barely crawling

From update to update, I am seeing my computers performing lower and lower. The cherry on top was an Microsoft update 1 year ago which ruined my gpd win 1 ability of playing older games. With microsoft support on it for 2 hours and we couldn't make it work. Why it took 2 hours? Because, albeit it was doing ok with a vanilla install, after a couple of windows "updates" it was barely crawling

Okay, I am not defending Win10 here itself, since I agree it's effectively bloatware now, but we need to address your inability to monitor and control your own system. Task Manager exists, you know, as do many other tools to diagnose and fix the software system (Process Lasso especially). Obviously your hardware wasn't changing so you just need to take some control there. Disable services you don't use or need. Uninstall dumb stuff. Look at your active processes and see which ones are chewing up memory, CPU/GPU cycles, etc..

It sounds more like you caught a crypto-mining virus than anything else. Win10 is bad but it's not THAT bad unless you let it be.

A little bit more work and they can call it Cinnamon. More important is if it will come with new Candy Crush?

If it's already there someone tell me. But why not offer home and pro versions with an install option where everything is off by default. telemetry-like, freebie games like candycrush, etc, news, GET Office, Everything in privacy off, Cortana, transparency, sending information set to never... you know, an installer like for server OS. Upon initial boot and login offer to install/enable what you want from the initial screen.

Windows never had any problems or "bugs" ... MS calls them "features" as a common practice. So hearing about new "Windows feature update" or news of any kind of new Windows "features" usually send chills down my spine... am I the only one?

edit: also didn't notice anything different and more "clean looking" in start menu. Looks EXACTLY as the current one.

Last edited:

In your current "old layout" move with your mouse to the start menu edge or corner and see the cursor change into resizing arrow? Click and hold down your mouse button and drag in whichever direction. (Been this way few years now)

Last edited:
I have a lifetime subscription to Office 365 - I can't stand it. I use LibreOffice instead. And I just downloaded Linux 19.1, and will give that a look.

And I am so utterly SICK of Microsoft and the stinking garbage they put out!

Emoji would only be about a Developer Featured Set; to have all commons for :
minimize, maximize, settings, folder, pin:eek:ntop; the full range of these functionalities built in the system like arial, courrier, verdana; it keep on changing these special characters;

I have a lifetime subscription to Office 365 - I can't stand it. I use LibreOffice instead. And I just downloaded Linux 19.1, and will give that a look.

And I am so utterly SICK of Microsoft and the stinking garbage they put out!

I tried to use LibreOffice for several years, but it just was BAD. Finally gave up. It's just garbage. Sadly the exact same thing can be said about Win10 and also considering swapping to Linux when building next computer (leaving old one with Win just for legacy and for adaptation period.).

If it's already there someone tell me. But why not offer home and pro versions with an install option where everything is off by default. telemetry-like, freebie games like candycrush, etc, news, GET Office, Everything in privacy off, Cortana, transparency, sending information set to never... you know, an installer like for server OS. Upon initial boot and login offer to install/enable what you want from the initial screen.
They already have that, it's called "Windows 7".

Last edited:
I see... but you could always remove or move those tiles and then made the Start menu smaller.This isn't a "feature", just a change to the default configuration.

You're missing the point, it's not about resizing the start menu AFTER you logon. The change is that it comes this way by default in new or clean installs. In a brand new Windows 10 PC, this is the new layout you get at first login. That's what the change in the build is.

You're missing the point, it's not about resizing the start menu AFTER you logon. The change is that it comes this way by default in new or clean installs. In a brand new Windows 10 PC, this is the new layout you get at first login. That's what the change in the build is.
Whooopeee I say... How about giving us the option not to install this bloatware crap in the first place?

Back