Microsoft removes problematic AMD driver that was causing BSODs on Windows 10 PCs

jsilva

What just happened? After multiple users have reported BSOD crashes following updating their Windows 10 systems, Microsoft found it had accidentally uploaded an update package with a problematic driver. The driver causing the crashes was the AMD SCSI Adapter 9.3.0.221 and was mostly affecting systems with AMD X570 motherboards. To avoid further issues, the driver has since been removed.

Back when the driver was released on the Windows Insider program, users reported it was causing boot issues. After investigating what was causing it, a Microsoft representative stated the driver was only supposed for selected systems running Windows 10 2004 and 20H2 versions. However, it ended up landing on incompatible systems because it was using an "extremely generic hardware ID," placing it in "the wrong place."

Those who reported crashes after installing the update were surprised with the BSOD error code "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE," which then results in a system restart loop.

After a few system restarts, some users stated that Windows repairs itself by rolling back the last updates it has done. Others claim they had to do a system repair manually.

If your Windows Update has already found the driver and you haven't installed it yet, we advise you to avoid it if you're using an AMD system. In case you have already downloaded it and still haven't restarted the system, you can roll back the installation. To do that, open the Device Manager, go to Storage Controllers, open the Driver tab, and click on the rollback button to uninstall it.

The worst-case scenario would be if you are already facing the restart loop. In that situation, you may access the Windows Boot Options Menu and try to do a "Startup repair" or a "System Restore" to fix the issue.

Permalink to story.

So is this a release ready driver that should have been released to everyone, only to some but was accidentally released to all or a yet to be fully tested driver that should have never been released in a non insider build in the first place ? That‘s not really clear.

Last edited:
The WORST blue screen for any user! One of the reasons I went with Intel on my newest build - while AMD does make some great CPUs, they've had quite a few issues with the surrounding infrastructure and drivers over the past years. It's these ticky-tack items that drive me crazy on a system. Sorry AMD fanboys, Intel has far LESS of these odd-ball problems.

Happened to me 2 days ago. It was hell, the fix vas very hard, absolutely not for beginners, microsoft and amd basically bricked millions of x570 mobos with an update... What a joke

Hmmm....Microsoft screwed up a Windohs 10 update. I am shocked, shocked I tell you! ;)
Oddly, any Windows update triggers an association with the name of an old Rolling Stones album, "Their Satanic Majesties Request".

Since M$ is insisting that they "improve their icons", allow me to suggest this for the "Start" button...

pentagram_classic_round_sticker-r27ad02ffe33244aaaf34f5237956da06_v9waf_8byvr_307.jpg

MS really are hopeless. Game pass is a complete mess, Windows is laughable, office is bloated & overpriced. Now I think about it the only thing they sell that isn’t garbage is the Xbox control pad.

I smell dirty intel money passing to MS to soil AMD's image.
But yet oddly, AMD was right there in lockstep with M$ declaring, "all of our new CPUs will only be fully compatible with Windows 10".

Since AMD has had a questionable reputation for drivers for a couple of decades, I suppose Intel has been paying off M$ for the same period of time..

Face it, AMD fan boys like to foster a persecution complex, since it effectively excuses anything AMD screws up.

The WORST blue screen for any user! One of the reasons I went with Intel on my newest build - while AMD does make some great CPUs, they've had quite a few issues with the surrounding infrastructure and drivers over the past years. It's these ticky-tack items that drive me crazy on a system. Sorry AMD fanboys, Intel has far LESS of these odd-ball problems.
I'll remember this next time Microsoft screws up something that affects Intel systems :p

Happened to me 2 days ago. It was hell, the fix vas very hard, absolutely not for beginners, microsoft and amd basically bricked millions of x570 mobos with an update... What a joke

Are you on a gigabyte motherboard?

Those are the only users I saw reporting this.

On my Asus board I never had this issue but I also don't allow windows to install driver update on its own so even if I had a board affected by this I wouldn't have ran into this issue.

The fix was to just let it reboot until it decides to auto repair. What's difficult about that? You could even walk away from the computer. The worst part was that it reset my bios settings. I don't think millions of x570 motherboards even exist.

The fix was to just let it reboot until it decides to auto repair. What's difficult about that? You could even walk away from the computer. The worst part was that it reset my bios settings. I don't think millions of x570 motherboards even exist.
yeah... I rebooted it about 80 times in 4 hours, I tried everything trust me, I was only able to access the command prompt via a usb stick with windows in it, It's just that the bug had different effects on different motherboards.

Are you on a gigabyte motherboard?

Those are the only users I saw reporting this.

On my Asus board I never had this issue but I also don't allow windows to install driver update on its own so even if I had a board affected by this I wouldn't have ran into this issue.
Yeah gygabyte motherboards were the worst affected, especially my x570 aorus elite. I'm almost tempted to give it back to Amazon and buy another one with the refund credit

Except something called Meltdown. https://meltdownattack.com/
Intel's only answer was to disable hyper-threading.

This 2004 version is still very problematic while the my 1909 will be forced upgraded into it at the end of this month

I don't know why this this news worthy because it is no news that MS updates always breaks something. I know some people will use this article to call out "poor driver" from AMD as usual, but perhaps they should look back at the many things that MS update broke in the past and still breaking. I recall they messed up Intel and Broadcom Wifi back then and not just once. All these should have been tested before the update go live for download.

But yet oddly, AMD was right there in lockstep with M$ declaring, "all of our new CPUs will only be fully compatible with Windows 10".

Since AMD has had a questionable reputation for drivers for a couple of decades, I suppose Intel has been paying off M$ for the same period of time..

Face it, AMD fan boys like to foster a persecution complex, since it effectively excuses anything AMD screws up.

Woosh!

Lol

If you have any experience in software development, you would know MS is in the driver seat here. New hardware always need updated kernel support, and MS isn't going to update Windows 7 except for security patches for customers paid for extended support on old hardware. AMD doesn't have much options here, just like Intel's latest platforms are only supported by Windows 10.

So is this a release ready driver that should have been released to everyone, only to some but was accidentally released to all or a yet to be fully tested driver that should have never been released in a non insider build in the first place ? That‘s not really clear.
It was meant for only select system configs running Windows 10 2004 or 20H2. It was never supposed to be pushed for everybody.

It was meant for only select system configs running Windows 10 2004 or 20H2. It was never supposed to be pushed for everybody.
Thanks. While it was clear that the driver was causing problems, I was wondering if releasing it to everyone was the actual issue.

If you have any experience in software development, you would know MS is in the driver seat here.
You say, "M$ is in the driver's seat", while I say, "M$ is the tail that wags the dog". Just semantics , I suppose.
New hardware always need updated kernel support, and MS isn't going to update Windows 7 except for security patches for customers paid for extended support on old hardware.
At least have the decency to lecture me about things I don't already know.
AMD doesn't have much options here, just like Intel's latest platforms are only supported by Windows 10.
And here we arrive at the "chicken or the egg conundrum". I say M$ changed Windows to force hardware manufacturers to adapt to them. Manufacturers can deny accusations of, "planned obsolescence", and blame it all on M$. So, they all make tons of money, while halfheartedly pointing fingers.at one another.

I could tell you a funny story about how very few noobs could get Windows 7 installed on boards as new as Intel Z170 It seems they either never heard of, having a machine with an optical drive, or thought they were beneath their dignity to use. Not fast enough, gotta use USB stick.

Now Windows 7 doesn't have USB 3.0 drivers, so the install fails at the point where they become necessary.

Gigabyte did a cute little thing, by putting the USB 3.0 drivers in their UEFI BIOS. So, you could cruise right through the Win 7 install..The BIOS gimmick was a "USB 3.0 hand off" setting. Once the 7 was up and running, it could find its own USB 3.0 drivers.

You were of course stuck with one of those archaic DVD drives and a Windows DVD. But what the heel, I collect sh!t anyway..Windows 10 was forced on everyone in the rudest, crudest most ruthless and heinous manner possible.

From where I sit, the average Windows 10 proponent can't even do the simplest math. They'll tell you, "Windows 10 was free". I say, "how could it be, you had to surrender a $100.00+ license to get it"

I'm sure you'll find legions of people that will testify they've never had trouble with 10, they put it in of their own free will, and so on..

I just refuse to knuckle under to some creep using business tactics he picked in some New Delhi bazaar/slum.

Last edited:
Back