Microsoft schedules Surface 2 event on September 23 in NYC

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft surface york city surface 2

Microsoft will be unveiling its next generation Surface tablet at a media event in New York City on September 23 following a string of recent leaks and price breaks on the original Surface. Press invites were sent out earlier today asking them to mark the date on their calendar for a special Surface event.

We’ll likely see the rumored Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro debut on the 23rd but not a Surface mini. The former devices are said to include a two-stage kickstand and aside from internal hardware bumps, the machines will largely resemble the first generation tablets.

Inside the Surface Pro 2 will be Intel’s latest Haswell processor and 8GB of system RAM (up from 4GB of RAM in the original). Haswell should help to improve battery life by as much as two hours, bringing the total run time to somewhere around seven hours. That’s still not the best battery life around but any gains are welcomed.

The Surface 2, meanwhile, will be a direct refresh of the existing Surface RT that will run Windows RT 8.1. It’s expected to ship with a 1080p display and Nvidia’s Tegra 4 SoC inside. Battery life is clocked around eight hours although a new Power Cover keyboard accessory for both the Surface 2 and the Surface 2 Pro could significantly boost longevity.

All of the above mentioned devices will be shown at the event in addition to a new docking station accessory.

Permalink to story.

They also need to release a new windows OS (windows 9) sooner than ever, that goes back to it's desktop roots and with a completely new look/design.

I don't understand why Microsoft is doing this. Microsoft Surface tablets (RT) are an EPIC FAIL and they priced both the PRO and RT tablets out of everyones range. Unless these new tablets are going to be 500% better, offer something that the current tablets don't and will not do and be $250 - $600 cheaper for the RT and PRO tablets respectively.

Why the hell does Windows 8.1 RT even exist?
They also need to release a new windows OS (windows 9) sooner than ever, that goes back to it's desktop roots and with a completely new look/design.

Agreed, although I don't know if it needs an all new design. As long as desktop users are still using a mouse and keyboard, the UI should be refined, not periodically replaced. Win8 has a lot of great under-the-hood improvements, but it is largely overshadowed by the touch-like home screen and awkward touch features that just don't translate well to the traditional desktop PC set up.

The converse could be said for the Surface. While the touch features work reasonably well, the big selling point (with the Pro, anyways) is the ability to run desktop type apps, but they don't work well without a keyboard and mouse. Granted, you can attach the optional (and expensive!) floppy keyboard, but you've come full circle to reinventing the laptop.

So current prices on the old will drop or not? Windows 9 would need another couple of years at this rate. Windows 8 was just getting in peoples heads. Now it's Windows 8.1 sounds like it's the early 90s again with Windows 3.1 where Windows 3.0 had issues so they gave us Windows 3.1 then it was Windows 3.11. So would this mean it's going to be Windows 8.11 soon?

So current prices on the old will drop or not? Windows 9 would need another couple of years at this rate. Windows 8 was just getting in peoples heads. Now it's Windows 8.1 sounds like it's the early 90s again with Windows 3.1 where Windows 3.0 had issues so they gave us Windows 3.1 then it was Windows 3.11. So would this mean it's going to be Windows 8.11 soon?

So you don't want feature updates? Are you still on Android froyo? Cause somehow you're making this sound bad.

Even if the specs improved and the price came down I still would not consider buying a Surface. The screen is just too small for any serious use. Would you consider a 14" screen adequate for a desktop PC?

Even if the specs improved and the price came down I still would not consider buying a Surface. The screen is just too small for any serious use. Would you consider a 14" screen adequate for a desktop PC?
Screen size is fine & dandy for most people for portability & battery life. No problem there. If you want a bigger screen just get a laptop.
My first desktop PC had a 12" monochrome screen. I don't remember thinking 'I need something bigger' at the time. Today's a different story of course.

I wish they would make a real docking station for this thing so I can replace some user laptops in my organization.

Screen size is fine & dandy for most people for portability & battery life. No problem there. If you want a bigger screen just get a laptop.
My first desktop PC had a 12" monochrome screen. I don't remember thinking 'I need something bigger' at the time. Today's a different story of course.
As it happens I do have an ultra book for work which has a 14" monitor. I find that is the smallest size that is practical for work but I normally use it in tandem with a larger monitor at work or home. Generally I have Excel on a large monitor and emails on the ultra book screen.

As it happens I do have an ultra book for work which has a 14" monitor. I find that is the smallest size that is practical for work but I normally use it in tandem with a larger monitor at work or home. Generally I have Excel on a large monitor and emails on the ultra book screen.

No doubt larger screens are far better for some things but for general usage, portability, power consumption etc. the Surface 2 screen size is more than adequate for most people. It's the price that brings tears to my eyes.

No doubt larger screens are far better for some things but for general usage, portability, power consumption etc. the Surface 2 screen size is more than adequate for most people. It's the price that brings tears to my eyes.
Not if you are using the device for proper work. It is fine for watching videos or playing simple games whilst travelling on the train but you can do that with any tablet that costs a fraction of the MS Surface.

Back