Microsoft to end support for old versions of Internet Explorer next year

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft internet explorer browser ie web browser

Microsoft is serious about getting users to move to its latest software releases. Just as it did with Windows XP earlier this year, the Redmond-based company is planning to end support for outdated versions of Internet Explorer in a bid to get everyone on the same page.

After January 12, 2016, only the most recent version of Internet Explorer available for a supported operating system will receive technical support and security updates. For example, anyone running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 must use Internet Explorer 11 to keep getting updates.

Support for Internet Explorer version 9 will continue for those running Windows Vista SP2 and Windows Server 2008 SP2 while IE10 will remain on life support for those using Windows Server 2012. Internet Explorer 8 will be dropped from Microsoft's support list entirely.

Dropping support for IE8 may not sound like a big deal but it'll affect a lot of people. According to Net Applications, version 8 of Internet Explorer is the mostly widely used browser in the world as it's installed on more than 20 percent of computers with a desktop-style operating system.

StatCounter, meanwhile, reports that six percent of all web traffic originates from those using the five-year-old browser.

Given the news, we're curious what web browser you are running these days. Do you surf the web with Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, Opera or perhaps some other browser? Let us know in the comments below.

Permalink to story.

This is ironic as I do know of an Intranet that only works properly with version 9!

I hope they fixed or will fix the issues I have personally seen with IE11. At this point I have made serious effort in not installing IE11. I have seen 3 or 4 machines with issues, resulting in the removal of IE11. That says allot since I am not an IT person, involved with very many machines.

I'm surfing with Sea monkey which is basically the same as Firefox, also use Chrome and Firefox for different things but I never use IE. The last version of IE I used for everyday surfing was IE 3.0 from what I can remember.

IE (any version) is the best browser to download Chrome, Firefox or Opera after you a fresh install of windows (any version). Personally I use Chrome and Opera Next (on old and slower machines).

OK, so I'll open Windows Update, long enough to get the new version of IE, then go right back to using Firefox.

Although, I've been unsuccessful at logging into Redbox with FF. I don't think it's the browser though, just the "NoScript" extension. So I'm forced to use IE for that one site.

Forced to use IE8 at work, it's awful. Constantly get messages from around the web saying "You're using an old browser, please update it" - I really wish I could...

ABOUT TIME.

I have to add code in my web applications just for ie8 drives me nuts

Fun with IE11 is that they've changed the user-agent string so it no longer identifies itself in the same way as older IE versions :(

OK, so I'll open Windows Update, long enough to get the new version of IE, then go right back to using Firefox.

Although, I've been unsuccessful at logging into Redbox with FF. I don't think it's the browser though, just the "NoScript" extension. So I'm forced to use IE for that one site.
You should be able to disable NoScript just for that site. The reduced security is still light-years beyond using Internet Explorer.

Forced to use IE8 at work, it's awful. Constantly get messages from around the web saying "You're using an old browser, please update it" - I really wish I could...
Do you use Oracle at work? Some versions of Oracle do not like updated versions of IE!

I been in this for over 30 years in Business if Microsoft was smart they would make a compatible version of Internet Explorer for all their versions of windows that includes XP and vista lots of users out there on them. Keep it update for free so their customers so they would not switch to a free browser by someone else . Happing fast as a IT expert I can tell you Chrome is getting very popular fast. Why push people to new Windows all the time the day of charging for Windows is almost over time to make money on the applications or something else. I would say Microsoft gets paid for every computer sold regardless of what version of windows is one it but windows it not on it then. When you get a computer windows on it you should be able to use it for the life of the computer no fear that components or parts will not be updated as they should.

Why would MS or any other manufacturer continue support for older products? You think Apple and Google support all their old product, they don't. They never promised updates for life, the fact that you think your entitled to is entirely your fault for thinking that way especially since there was never any indication that would happen.

Products come and go. That's life. Windows OS and their services are the same thing. They come and go. Apple and Google do this all they time as well.

For an IT expert you should already know all this.

I have used IE since the beginning and have never run into any real issues. Most have been related to security settings being set to high or mainly some websites not supporting current browser which would be their fault for not doing so, not MS. Using IE 11 now and have no issues.
From what I have seen and found, most issues stem from users not so much from MS doing anything wrong or what not. MS have their issues but it's not all them all the time.

From what I have seen and found, most issues stem from users not so much from MS doing anything wrong or what not. MS have their issues but it's not all them all the time.
What else would you call it when you try to keep your system from automatically updating and then the next thing you know you are force to uninstall something that was automatically installed. It is like pulling teeth keeping Windows Update from automatically updating. After automatically updating, you find IE broken, and on one occasion the PC would not even boot. I had to load Safe Mode and uninstall IE11, before the OS would load. And this is while using default configurations, without any modifications other than installing Flash. Never before have I ever had such issues with a previous version of IE. Yet here Microsoft is threatening to drop support for all previous versions.

Like I said earlier, I hope they fixed or will have fixed these issues before they cross that line. But then I have a problem with their bland user interface they are adapting as well, so I probably wouldn't care one way or the other.

You can not auto update. I haven't used auto update in years. I decide what goes on my system. So that's a easy fix.

I have never had IE break on me. So it's either user error or maybe even a software conflict. I haven't had IE crash on me either.

There is nothing to fix. As I have said before, not all issues are related to MS.

There is also nothing wrong with MS ending support for their products. You can simply get the latest version or move on to something else. No one is forcing you to do anything, you always have a choice. Your choice is to update to a newer version or simply move on. Not hard to decide.

I have never had IE break on me. So it's either user error or maybe even a software conflict. I haven't had IE crash on me either.
Believe what you want to, I know I will. And for the record it is a fresh install of IE, it should not have software conflicts of any kind. The mere thought lays blame on MS.

Your blaming MS for a software conflict that could be caused by the manufacturers? MS only do their software, it's been known and proven that some manufacturer software has had compatibility issues. Once again, just because something is brand new DOES NOT mean it is without issues/problems, especially if it's out of MS hands. MS isn't perfect and yes it does have it's issues but not all issues are theirs.

I am not believing what I want, I am telling you my experience. Everyone's is different. I am saying that I have no issues with IE, never have. Most issues tend to be from high security settings, websites that either don't update to work with current versions or simply have a glitch that needs fixing. Nothing that have broken IE to where it's unusable, never even seen that except for a virus.

Your blaming MS for a software conflict that could be caused by the manufacturers?
That's a bit different now is it not, earlier you were blaming the users. Besides the few machines I am talking about only one of them had a brand name, the other were home built. So unless you are referring to drivers there was no software.
I am telling you my experience. Everyone's is different. I am saying that I have no issues with IE, never have.
I'm happy for you I really am. But you are suggesting the issues I have encounter are my own fault and could never be Microsoft's. And at the same time suggesting there are no issues because you have never seen them. If it was only one machine that I have had issues with, I might agree with you.

Like I said, I'm happy that you are not having issues.

No im saying if your having issues, that does not mean it is MS fault. Your saying it is. That's not true as it could be because of the manufacturer do to or simply your fault. People love blaming someone else when they buy something brand new. If you feel there is something wrong with a brand new product then go return it, go with something you feel is better or build it your self like you have done.

Also I never said MS never had issues, you may want to reread my posts.

I have used every single version from pre XP to ME, Vista, Win 7 and have messed with Win 8. No version of IE in any of them have gave me issues to where IE is actually broke, unusable. In most cases I haven't had to do anything. Only thing I have really had to change was security setting, other than that most issues were because of websites not updating to the latest version. Security patches/updates are common for all browsers so that's a natural thing and I didn't include them in anything as all companies have those issues.

I am not trying to change your mind on anything. I am stating that I haven't had any issues like your saying in all my years of using IE. Your either have had some really bad luck, bad models or causing your own issues.
If your having that many issues with IE, one has to wonder why your even still using them and since this doesn't seem to be a new issue, why your even talking about it and simply haven't moved on.

...[ ]....If your having that many issues with IE, one has to wonder why your even still using them and since this doesn't seem to be a new issue, why your even talking about it and simply haven't moved on.
This can't be anything other than a rhetorical question, er can it?:confused:

Back