Microsoft to fix 34 vulnerabilities in next week's Patch Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jos

Staff

Microsoft has released their advance notification for June's upcoming 'Patch Tuesday', and it looks like system administrators will have their work cut out for them next week. The company will be releasing 10 security bulletins and patches to address the 34 vulnerabilities disclosed in them. Of the ten bulletins, three are rated "Critical" and could allow an attacker to take full control of the targeted machine through security holes in Windows and Internet Explorer.

The remaining seven bulletins are all marked as important and deal with bugs in Windows and Office concerning remote code execution issues, elevation of privileges and tampering with targeted systems. The updates are due to cover two un-patched vulnerabilities, a cross-site scripting bug in SharePoint (KB983438) disclosed back in April, and an information leakage bug in Internet Explorer (KB980088) that has been known since February.

As usual, there will also be an update for the Windows Malicious Software Removal tool. More details will come with the release of the patches on Tuesday, but in the meantime, Microsoft's advance notification can be found here.

Permalink to story.

I'm NOT using Linux as an os and life is easy! And after a bit of tweaking, still secure!

You should not have to tweak Windows to have a secure operating system. Linux is secure. No AV or antispyware software needed. There are Linux distros that are easy to install and use.

Yeah, but Linux is boring. You can customize the hell out of Windows. Though i'm sure if Linux was actually popular enough (if it had a good share of the OS market) there would be people writing viruses for it...same for Mac. Windows is just so easy to exploit since it's dominating the market.

I'm a PC, and though Windows 7 wasn't my idea, I think it rocks my socks :p

VirusesMeanLinuxIsMainstream™
http://www.tmrepository.com/trademarks/virusesmeanlinuxismainstream

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/12/09/malicious-linux-screensaver-proves-any-oss-biggest-vulnerabilit/

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=527020&highlight=ubuntu+server+hacked

Doesn't matter what OS you use. Common sense, sensibility, good security practices and timely updates are more important than what OS you use.

OS can't overcome social engineering attacks or poor security updates or attacks thru third party software or dependencies.

if Linux was so secure, how come SElinux exists?

There is no such thing as a perfectly safe OS But Linux and the Mac OS are much more secure than Windows.

"To mess up a Linux box you have to work at it; To mess up a Windows box you just have to work on it."

I have linux and use it to surf problematic web sites. There is just no chance adware/spyware will be installed just from visiting a web site as happens on windows. There is no "windows metafile vulnerablity". Google that, and see what pops up.

What is wrong with you people? A Linux distro usually lasts less than a year. Don't you think that vulnerabilities are being patched?

Heh, linux is secure because so few people use it, that the hackers don't even bother trying to hack it.

I love patch tuesday. I just can't wait to see the vulnerabilities I was exposed to over the previous month. Patch baby patch.

No one cares to hack a Linux Distro because the guys hacking windows are most likely running Linux! Hello

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back