Microsoft to host Windows 8.1 'Ask Me Anything' session on Reddit today

Shawn Knight

Staff member

microsoft windows reddit ask me anything ama windows 8.1

Have a burning Windows 8.1 question you want answered that wasn’t addressed in our recent Windows 8.1 editorial? If so, Microsoft has you covered as they will be hosting an Ask Me Anything (AMA) session on Reddit today starting at 10:30 a.m. and running through 12 p.m. Pacific time.

Redmond announced the AMA session in a tweet published earlier this morning. The company promises that several engineers will be on hand to field questions about the incremental operating system update which just went live today at 7 a.m. Eastern time in the states.

The update includes a number of features that customers have been asking for ever since Windows 8 hit the market a year ago including improved search functionality, the return of the Start and the ability to boot directly into desktop mode. The latter addition will finally allow a PC to simply be a PC in Windows 8 and was one of the top complaints of the new OS.

Windows 8.1 is available as a free upgrade for everyone that is currently using Windows 8. It is possible to jump directly from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and even install 8.1 fresh on an empty hard drive or solid state drive but you’ll have to pay for the opportunity. The standard version retails for $119 while Windows 8.1 Pro commands $199 – the same price Microsoft was already charging for Windows 8.

Permalink to story.

What good does it do to talk to engineers? Their not the ones forcing this garbage onto the customer. But Microsoft is all too willing to use them as scapegoats.

Too bad I won't be available to go ask.... I've always wanted to know why they insist on removing advanced features that are off by default. For instance the free disk space indicator on the Windows Explorer status bar. Last seen in Windows Vista I believe. Yes there are hacks out there, but why remove something that doesn't bother the standard user anyhow?

First question "Why did you put a tablet OS on a pc instead of catering for both?"

Although this is a great question that needs to be asked, I'm betting that the first question is, "How come the supposed Start button is still screwed up?" ;)

I just installed it, broke the Intel HD3000 graphics driver (device manager check), had to manually search and download the package (Intel automatic driver check broken in IE 11) and it is fixed.
Installs 10,001 'metro' apps, cannot uninstall many of them such as Skydrive, Photos, etc
During install tries to hoax you into getting a 'Microsoft Account' - I use a local account, when I went to the store and tried a download, could not do it unless I signed in for a Microsoft Account.
Metro is indeed improved greatly in useability, but I am so PO'd at Microshaft all I have for them is a rigid digit from both hands and can't wait until I can get a copy of Win 7.
They have a monopoly, for the casual user WTF can you do when MS is determined to shaft so many users in this way?

What good does it do to talk to engineers? Their not the ones forcing this garbage onto the customer. But Microsoft is all too willing to use them as scapegoats.

I have a feeling that there will be a common theme among answers from the group, essentially always boiling down to "We don't know, they told us to do that, we just try to make their requests work"

Why did you completely abandon the business market that has made you the billionaires that you are today? Why did you think it was a smart idea to make touch the main UI in a business environment?

In retrospect, Win8 does have some nice features, IMHO wish they had integrated them into Win7. Like a Win7SE or something and have the metro thing a separate OS.
Thinking about the whole Win8 thing, what burns my *** is less Win8 than how much more they are bending you over and absolutely forcing you to do things their way despite your wishes. I could list so many, but a very, very minor one. Windows Update settings. I like mine to notify me of updates..period. I will then run the Update and choose and download what I want. I have lost count of the times I have updated and found my settings changed to "Download and install all updates automatically", and it doesn't tell you it has changed this..you have to look for it. Very minor, but when we move to Win8 the examples I could give are legion. Like during the install of 8.1 if you decline a MS account it appears there is no option to pass through and continue the install. If you select get a MS account to keep going in that screen you can leave the form blank and hit next and the install will proceed. Disingenuous by MS to try to mislead people to think if they want to continue the install they MUST have a MS account. Not having 8.1 is no choice either as they have announced they will discontinue support of win8 in 2 years, no updates unless you are 8.1. Two years for an OS that has just been released? They are doing all they can to force you to run windows the MS way regardless of how you want and that is what I totally resent. Being a monopoly, and not in IT where can I run? It's a Windows world for the average Joe like me.

Not having 8.1 is no choice either as they have announced they will discontinue support of win8 in 2 years, no updates unless you are 8.1. Two years for an OS that has just been released? They are doing all they can to force you to run windows the MS way regardless of how you want and that is what I totally resent. Being a monopoly, and not in IT where can I run? It's a Windows world for the average Joe like me.

This is normal for Microsoft. Support for Windows 7 sans Service Pack 1 ended April 2013 & for Vista Service Pack 1 support ended July 2011. And don't pretend that Windows 8.1 is not a service pack, because that's exactly what it is.

I think Ubuntu has gone about merging mobile devices with desktop devices the right way. I hope Microsoft takes a lesson from Canonical for their next iteration of Windows. Otherwise I see a brighter future for Linux.

To be clear, I was just reading more about the Microsoft Account and SkyDrive and if that is what you want to use I am totally fine with that. Problem is I have no other devices to sync, I prefer all my data on my local machine, I don't need another e-mail address etc. I can handle my own back ups. In other words I have no use for a Microsoft Account and SkyDrive, but they are doing everything short of coming to my house and installing it to get me to use it.
All I want is that they respect my decision. This is what they seem increasingly unwilling to do and why I am so PO'd
Thanks for the info Teko03, I don't know what to call 8.1, but it does seem to make Metro look more useable. I don't really know because I don't use it, but it certainly looked better for finding things and search was improved.

Back