Microsoft, Uber, and Ubisoft are some of the world's most hated brands

midian182

Staff member
In brief: If you listen to the hate Apple gets from so many people, it's easy to imagine that Cupertino is the most hated technology company in the world. According to a new report, however, that unwanted title falls to rival Microsoft, which is despised more than any other big tech brand in 22 countries.

RAVE Reviews, using the research tool SentiStrength, assessed over a million brand-related tweets for positive or negative content. Any brands that had fewer than ten disparaging tweets aren't included.

The results are split into categories. In the area of big tech (top), Microsoft is by far the number one disliked company across the world, hated by 22 countries, including the US. For comparison, Facebook and Google have 24 countries between them. Maybe Windows is to blame?

It's worth noting that Facebook has the highest hate rate for big tech in a specific country---85% in Hong Kong---while Ireland and Pakistan aren't big Apple fans, with 73% and 64% hate rates, respectively. It also seems that Zimbabwe really dislikes Pepsi, for some reason.

As for the most hated US brand, that dishonor falls to Uber. RAVE Reviews doesn't class it as a tech firm, which is ironic as the company has long argued that it is---a way to avoid transportation service rules and regulations.

The next most hated brand in the US is Lego, as anyone who's stood on a piece while barefoot can understand. It's followed by Sony, which, like Uber, isn't classed as a tech firm. The Japanese giant is also the most hated brand in Canada.

Looking at gaming brands, it should come as no surprise to see Ubisoft dominate this area, being the most hated industry name in 23 countries. But the US, Australia, and Canada reserve their vitriol for Game Freak---developer of the Pokémon RPG series.

Are you a fan of Dominoes? Then you might be in the minority. It's the most hated fast-food brand in the US and the UK, though KFC is most countries' least favorite brand within this category.

Permalink to story.

It's funny to see that it's not the brand that f*cked the most the consumers that are on top, or neither the ones that lied the most. And by far.

What a beautiful marketing era we live in..

People can and often do turn a blind eye to labor practices that range from unethical to flat out illegal. What they can't turn a blind eye to is those stupid, forced Windows 10 updates in the middle of something important, extremely important and even time critical in some cases and the routine updates that break functionality and even the entire OS installation for many people due to their lack of proper internal testing.

I bet most of the hate for Amazon comes from their 'Estimated delivery between 11am-1pm'...turning up at 9.55pm.

Twitter hates anythign and everything, with the only exception being political events that can be virtue signaled over or unaware users who can be the latest member fo the internet's favorite game.
I'm not sure why people hate Microsoft so badly sure they do dumb stuff but all companies do
Because MS uses their position to force changes consumers do not like directly into consumer's faces.
if it wasn't for them we would all be in the terminal all day lol
Apple and MS both copied xerox's UI system. If it wasnt MS someone else would have done it. Atari PCs already had a GUI called GEM YEARS before windows was a thing.

This survey is just wrong and inaccurate, using twitter to tell something is like saying. people hate the post office the most in a survey done of the over 70s.

Microsoft is huge and everyone has something to do with really so they are going to get more hate than say activation because people don't know who they are in the grand scheme of things.

Perfect example is I'm V much into gaming and live in the UK and had to google game freak despite it being the most hated gaming brand I have never heard of them.

not everyone is on twitter and if you are active your the kind of person that complains about everything anyway.

I bet most of the hate for Amazon comes from their 'Estimated delivery between 11am-1pm'...turning up at 9.55pm.
In the UK at least I would like to say alot of it is to do with not paying tax, however people probably only bring it up if there parcel doesn't arrive

Results gathered from Twitter?

So this is just Twits most hated things per country.
Twits don't speak for all of us, thankfully.

Sometime people may say harsh thing online, but not always hating. It is way to give feedback to company for hope they will improving.

This survey is just wrong and inaccurate, using twitter to tell something is like saying. people hate the post office the most in a survey done of the over 70s.

Microsoft is huge and everyone has something to do with really so they are going to get more hate than say activation because people don't know who they are in the grand scheme of things.

Perfect example is I'm V much into gaming and live in the UK and had to google game freak despite it being the most hated gaming brand I have never heard of them.

not everyone is on twitter and if you are active your the kind of person that complains about everything anyway.

Exactly. It's a perfect example of bad statistical analysis. First off it only applies to twitter users, which are most certainly a subset of any countries population. Secondly if all they did was tabulate negative tweets it does nothing to weed out high volume individual tweeters.

Perfect example. Every gamer is well aware of the console debate. So all it takes is a few flame wars over which console is better where Sony get's lambasted by Xbox fanbois over and over again and Sony quickly raises in the negative tweet rankings.

This is nothing more than bad click bait science and the group that actually took the time to analyze the data? Talk about wasting time...

Are Toyota cars not reliable in Mexico? Why do South Koreans dislike Youtube so much? Is YT demonetizing all the mukbangs or something?

If you ask me, I hate M$lop the lousy tech company that can convince everyone who knows little how great they are while producing lousy tech products that seem to fail, fail and fail.....

I don't think you can conclude from this data that these are the most hated companies... These are Twitter numbers, and twitters is not the most used social in every country, so I think this data can be take as it is... The most hated brands IN TWITTER, by country...

But we can agree about Ubisoft lol...

Back