Microsoft unveils Windows 8 "Surface" tablets: More PC-like, not just another cookie-cutter design

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

One of the key changes in Windows 8 is, as you very well know, improved support for tablets. Microsoft has fully embraced this aspect of the operating system, unveiling its own tablet line during a "mystery" event in Los Angeles, California today. The "Surface" strives to be the perfect all-around mobile system, offering the flexibility of serving as a Windows 8-based tablet as well as an ultrabook-like computer.

omg arm-powered xbox windows smartglass microsoft surface tablet windows 8 microsoft surface

The device features a 10.6-inch Gorilla Glass display and is said to be the first PC with a vapor-deposited magnesium chassis, which is described by Microsoft as being "rigid" yet "light" and "natural in the hands." The Surface will come in Intel (Windows 8 Pro) and ARM (Windows 8 RT) variants, with the former running a Core i5 Ivy Bridge processor and the latter packing an ARM-based Nvidia chip.

Surface for Windows 8 Pro Surface for Windows 8 RT
OS Windows 8 Pro Windows 8 RT
Screen 10.6" 1920x1080 10.6" 1366x768
Processor Intel Core i5 22nm ARM-based Nvida
Storage 64GB, 128GB 32GB, 64GB
Thickness 13.5mm (0.53") 9.3mm (0.36")
Weight 903g (1.99lbs) 676g (1.49lbs)
Battery 42Wh 31.5Wh
Connectivity microSDXC, USB 3.0, Mini DisplayPort Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae microSD, USB 2.0, Micro HD Video, 2x2 MIMO antennae
Other Pen support  
Accessories Touch Cover, Type Cover Touch Cover, Type Cover
Est. Price ~$800+ ~$400-$600

Despite resembling the same cookie-cutter tablet we've seen recently, the Surface makes a convincing attempt to distinguish itself. Microsoft has added a seamlessly integrated kickstand that lets you rest the device on a table without an accessory. What's more, the company will offer two covers -- the "Touch Cover" and "Type Cover" -- which attach to the Surface magnetically and provide laptop-like features.

omg arm-powered xbox windows smartglass microsoft surface tablet windows 8 microsoft surface

The Touch Cover measures 3mm thick and has a multitouch keyboard as well as a trackpad, while the Type Cover has a tactile keyboard and a full touchpad with clickable buttons. Having no moving parts, the former is inherently thinner, adding only 3mm to the Surface versus 5mm. With a Touch Cover, the ARM Surface measures just shy of half an inch (for reference, the new MacBook Air is 0.68 inches thick).

While adding a keyboard to a tablet isn't revolutionary, the hardware-software integration here could let you run all your desktop software (on the Windows 8 Pro version particularly) and it'll let you use USB devices as well as a larger screen via DisplayPort when necessary. In other words, the Surface could very well be your everyday "desktop" computer in addition to being an ultrabook and a tablet.

The Intel Surface goes a step further by adding pen support (there are two digitizers to tell if you're using the stylus or your finger). Much like the covers, the stylus attaches to the Surface magnetically (for storage). Pricing hasn't been shared yet, with Microsoft saying only that the Windows 8 Pro Surface will be competitive with ultrabooks (~$800+) and the Windows 8 RT Surface with ARM tablets (~$400-$600).

Microsoft has posted the full (~48 minute) video of the Surface tablet announcement here.

Permalink to story.

Hmmm... it's the first tablet that I actually wanted, but that feeling is gone.

I hope the battery life on these things will really kick butt. So far, they're looking really good.

Damn that's sexy.

I'm not so worried about battery life; Windows 8 is truly efficient. Like, ridiculously efficient. I assume it would perform better than the new iPad.

All I need to know is the pricing, then I'm sold.

I've gotten my hands on a samsung slate, the one with i5 2467M and Windows 7 preinstalled. it's not as thin as other tablet, but it's comparable to most ultrabook, and will make a ultrabook a run for its money. it seems that after the recent show all major manufacturers are coming with win8 tablets and once the price is right, I'll definitely get one. the slate that I got my hands on cost a whopping 1400$!

This tablets do look interesting I might consider getting an ARM one when we know more about the devices. Any ETA?

Intresting design..

Looks like tablets are going to evolve in to strange new breed... I shall call them laptops..

I like the way MS has gone with it, instead of coming out with another iPad copycat (like most of the Android tablets) it has gone on a different path, and I think it could be a winner & first ever tablet I may buy :)

When Microsoft killed the Courier, I wasn't sure if they would ever field anything as interesting anymore.

When Microsoft debuted the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, I wasn't sure if they forgot that being productive (and playing high production games) is why people still like the Windows ecosystem.

I'm glad this Surface tablet actually tries to rectify both problems. I'm not entirely sold on the ARM version until more programs and apps appear for it, but at least the Intel version I can see being seriously used in companies as more than just a display screen, while seamlessly working with existing infrastructures like Active Directory. And being able to install all my x86 software.

The Surface isn't revolutionary (and don't forget that the Surface has been around for a while in the form of those giant touch table computers that some restaurants and businesses have), but it sure does seem to hit the right notes for people who want something more than just a toy.

At a guess I would say Intel HD 4000 for the i5 and ULP GeForce for the Tegra 3 (assuming that's what the ARM version uses).

My only issue with this is the completely flat keyboard. Not sure about anyone else but I really don't find typing on that sort of thing comfortable.

Then dont get that smart cover and plug pretty much any other keyboard you fancy into it.

I hope it does not cost an ARM for the windows RT Surface version.

if microsoft will sell the windows PRO surface version @500-600$ to compete with the android-powered samsung galaxy note I and II, then I'm gonna work extra to have it asap.

My only issue with this is the completely flat keyboard. Not sure about anyone else but I really don't find typing on that sort of thing comfortable.

Agreed.

I must say though, kudos to Microsoft for not just banging out a carbon-copy tablet like most others have. This really does look good.

But I don't know, I'd still probably prefer a new laptop of some kind. I just haven't caught the tablet "bug" like most have.

Well done on MS for being original (more so than the Android tablets anyway), the Pro version with the i5 is interesting for sure. Assuming the 64GB version is $800 that's actually not much more than a 64GB iPad but with 10x the functionality.

I like the dual option cover/keyboard. That's pretty innovative. But I'm not sure if I'm ready to plop down money on a 1st gen tablet. I'd probably wait until mid to late 2013 for the second gen Windows 8 tablets, once they iron out the bugs.

Agreed.

I must say though, kudos to Microsoft for not just banging out a carbon-copy tablet like most others have. This really does look good.

But I don't know, I'd still probably prefer a new laptop of some kind. I just haven't caught the tablet "bug" like most have.

But did you guys see the Type Cover? It's a thicker, tactile keyboard. The Tocuh Cover is the one that's just 3mm thick. Either, its is a very interesting product.

Price is high but that's SRP though say $600 is more what it should go for retail an add another $100 for HSN, QVC and ShopNBC peddling fees. I am using SKYTEX SKYTAB 9.7" 2GB, 1080p HDMI port dual USB ports, got flex stand a Logitech Wireless K260 hooked via USB dongle with Windows 8 RPE for now the WiFi, WLAN, WWAN seem to plague us still like it did with all versions of Windows. Way oh why is MS still pushing these OS in a default code mode. Push it to the extreme and make these tablets fly off in sales. With my code name Jasper for Windows 8 and Jet for Windows 7 tablets you can full networking as it should be both found on STZ Forums II for SKYTAB. Still I am sure surface is going to be quick with the dual core it comes with. The Windows 8 Metro needs some more work it's not like Android GUI nor a Apple GUI still reminds me of Windows 7 except for the tile Overlay features.

But Windows 8 good breaking point for the really first end MS Tablets to run real OS for tablets than it did with with Windows 7. Right now MS Store seems very limited in apps to download but some of these apps from MS an others a really cool.

Back