Microsoft's Flight Simulator 2020 is getting SteamVR support this month

Polycount

Staff
Something to look forward to: Microsoft's incredibly immersive (and almost photo-realistic) Flight Simulator 2020 launched back in August, and it's become pretty popular since -- it's even attracted a few enterprising modders, who have added everything from new landmarks to Godzilla into the game. To crank up the immersion even further, Microsoft is planning to release a VR update for FS2020 later in December.

According to TechPowerUp, this support already arrived in a limited capacity back in October -- it was available to a handful of closed beta testers, and its system requirements were quite hefty. At the very minimum, you needed an i5-8400 (or a Ryzen 5 1500X), a GTX 1080, and 16 gigs of RAM.

Assuming those specs were targeting a lower framerate, we can't imagine the experience of playing FS2020 in VR was very pleasant for testers with machines specced around that level. Fortunately, when the full SteamVR update arrives, Microsoft will reportedly introduce "new performance optimizations" that will knock the required specs down a few notches.

However, we wouldn't expect any dramatic improvements -- FS2020 is already an extremely demanding game. At 1440p, even the powerful 2080 Ti could only manage an average of 44 FPS at Ultra settings in our own testing, and the story only got worse at 4K. Granted, our benchmarks took place way back in August, so performance may have improved since the game's release.

If you haven't snagged FS2020 yet but you're a fan of the franchise (or just flight sims in general), it'll run you $60 on your PC platform of choice (a console release is set for next year). If that's still a bit much for you to swallow, consider checking back during Steam's Winter Sale, which will likely take place next month. It may get a discount then.

Permalink to story.

Considering you'd want to have a HOTAS and rudder pedals to play a Flight sim like this - rather than a controller, I see no reason to even bother with it on the console.

I play DCS world a lot using my X56 Rhino and Logitech G pedals. I may get a newer VR simply so it's easy to look around the cockpit without having to use the POV hat.

It has been noted QP that you are a big fan of this simulator..trickle down is hopeful from MS.

It might run slightly better in VR mode as I assume you'd be locked to the cockpit so you would only visually be able to see a small amount of the world, so many optimisations could be had there.

Considering you'd want to have a HOTAS and rudder pedals to play a Flight sim like this - rather than a controller, I see no reason to even bother with it on the console.

I play DCS world a lot using my X56 Rhino and Logitech G pedals. I may get a newer VR simply so it's easy to look around the cockpit without having to use the POV hat.

I heard you might even want to get a yoke + pedals instead of hotas and pedal.

Those performance optimisations better be amazing otherwise many people will get sick because of low framerates even on top end gaming machines.

Now here's a good example where VR is going to benefit the game as well as the user and hats off the Microsoft for making the VR display an optional feature rather than the only feature! MS finally got one right!

I havent tried the FS VR but when I played the VR in X-plane, you didnt need a joystock; you used the oculus controllers to grab the control column and press things and turn knobs

Back