1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Microsoft's latest Windows 10 test build lets you remove more pre-installed apps

By Shawn Knight · 12 replies
Oct 18, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. A vanilla installation of Windows 10 is taking on a whole new meaning with Microsoft’s latest preview build. Windows 10 Insider Preview, Build 18262 (19H1), allows Insiders in the Fast ring and those who have opted in to the Skip Ahead program to delete additional pre-installed apps.

Until now, it was only possible to uninstall Microsoft Solitaire Collect, My Office, OneNote, Print 3D, Skype, Tips and Weather via the context menu on the Start menu All Apps list. In 19H1, Microsoft has added the ability to additionally remove 3D Viewer, Calculator, Calendar, Groove Music, Mail, Movies & TV, Paint 3D, Snip & Sketch, Sticky Notes and Voice Recorder.

While some of these pre-installed apps are incredibly handy, they aren’t universally used by all and the ability to remove them is much appreciated.

Build 18262 also adds a new optional column to the Details tab in Task Manager to show which apps are DPI Aware and implements multiple bug fixes. The full changelog can be found over on Microsoft’s announcement blog.

Microsoft earlier this month paused the rollout of Windows 10 October 2018 Update (version 1809) after reports surfaced that it was deleting user data. The issues have since been rectified and Microsoft is testing a revised update with Windows Insiders ahead of a general re-launch.

Permalink to story.

2. senketsu

senketsu TS Guru Posts: 764   +512

This is like a dream to think one can remove MS pre-installed apps. I don't know why they bug me so much, but I would love to uninstall almost the entire lot of them.

H3llion, DaveBG and fluffydestroyer like this.
  3. seeprime

seeprime TS Maniac Posts: 254   +247

Portable ccleaner (no need to install it) has a great uninstall tool. I removed all but three of Windows 10 apps. They never came back, but new garbageware like Connect did. For Connect I used a Winaero tool https://winaero.com/download.php?view.1895

H3llion, a51a51, DaveBG and 1 other person like this.
  4. senketsu

senketsu TS Guru Posts: 764   +512

Thank you,
    edit: I didn't want to use a third party install like winaero, but I used portable CCleaner and it worked wonderfully. After rebooting I ran a command line "sfc /scannow" and no errors were found, no stuff reinstalled. Fantastic.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    seeprime likes this.
  5. Black Slasher

Black Slasher TS Booster Posts: 29   +26

I would like them to fix windowed g-sync. Since spring upgrade Microsoft it is broken and Nvidia/Microsoft are radio silent about the problem.

6. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 1,540   +652

That is wonderful news, hope it becomes the standard. Windows USED to allow lots of customization, letting us choose what we wanted and didn't want. I wan't those days back.

IT Professionals would also like the ability to exclude some of these included apps from install in the first place. Nothing worse than imaging a machine and having to perform post app removal.

senketsu and Kandygrrl like this.
  7. Kandygrrl

Kandygrrl TS Rookie

Amen to that... I work IT at a school district and every time we receive new PC's, its a pain to go through and remove all that crap so that each student doesn't get it installed again....

senketsu likes this.
  8. DaveBG

DaveBG TS Maniac Posts: 369   +132

Does it remove the spyware services too? I doubt it...

9. IAMTHESTIG

IAMTHESTIG TS Evangelist Posts: 1,540   +652

No those are baked into the OS. Err, I mean, service.

DaveBG likes this.
  10. Bullwinkle M

Bullwinkle M TS Rookie Posts: 26   +13

Try these...

Get Blackbird - Windows privacy, security and performance

StopUpdates10

and Shadow Defender

Blackbird eliminates ALL telemetry Spyware

Shadow Defender Locks the Windows boot drive to prevent any type of persistent malware

and StopUpdates10 can easily stop ALL Windows Updates for as long as you want and Update again whenever you like

I'm using all of these in Windows 8.1 Enterprise Trial

Yup, after 4 years of use, I'm still on day 1 of the trial

THANKS MICROSOFT!

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB trial is what I would use,....... if I ever used Win 10

but I wouldn't touch that mess, even with YOUR computer

wiyosaya and DaveBG like this.
  11. Uncle Al

Uncle Al TS Evangelist Posts: 4,307   +2,764

God only knows how many more they have hidden to the point you can't find them, running in the background all day (and maybe night) long .....

12. abysal

abysal TS Booster Posts: 115   +40

I nuked the entire universal app / store crap from orbit. It was the only way to be sure.

13. Trillionsin

Trillionsin TS Evangelist Posts: 1,737   +356

Yea there's powershell commands to do that in one fell swoop

You break the store, and other apps that rely on it though.If that's not a problem just google it, and run the command. I had to reinstall to get it back, everything I tried to reinstall the Store failed.

Other apps affected could be such as the Calculator app.