MiMedia sends you a hard drive for your first online backup

Jos

Staff

For a while now I’ve been relying on Dropbox to backup all my day-to-day personal and work-related stuff to the cloud and have these files available everywhere I go. The synchronization experience has been impressively seamless and the 2GB of free storage offered have been enough to keep me from looking at alternatives. But there are quite a few other online backup solutions out there -- SugarSync, Carbonite, Mozy, to name a few -- and newcomer MiMedia is breaking into the space with an interesting proposition.

The company hopes users will move their entire collection of data online, including photos, videos and music, with the promise that they’ll be stored safely in multiple data centers. To this end MiMedia offers tiered pricing plans that go from $5 a month ($50 yearly) for 25GB of storage, all the way up to $140 a month or $1,300 a year for 2TB. However, depending on your Internet connection speed and the amount of data you want to back up, it could take days for that first upload to complete. To get around this problem MiMedia will optionally ship you a free USB Shuttle Drive with up to 1TB of storage capacity in a small box that includes a self-addressed return label. That way you can plug the drive in, securely back up your files with “NSA level encryption”, send it back in the pre-paid box, et voila. The next day you’ll get an email letting you know that all your files have been securely transferred to your online account.

From then on your broadband connection can handle backing up new files, along with changes to existing ones in real time. As you’d expect, MiMedia offers a web-based interface to access your data from any time any place – there’s also an iPhone app available. Files are presented logically by media type in a single, clean user interface where you can click a button to play videos, watch pictures, listen to your music, or share (DRM-less) content with others.

It’s an interesting option in the increasingly popular online file storage, sharing and syncing market. Pricing does seem a little steep compared to some of its rivals, though. Right now Mozy offers unlimited storage at $5 a month, while Dropbox’s large capacity plans can be a bit more expensive but they also offer a free 2GB option.

Permalink to story.

Really, $1300 a year for 2tb? I have 4X1.5TB drives on my home server in raid 1. I would consider myself tech savy, but in no way would I consider myself advanced. Had an old computer around with an Athlon 64 X2 5000 be with 6 GB of various ram that i had laying around. Figured I wanted a lot of storage and I wanted it to be secure, as in A hard drive doesnt die and I lose everything.

Only problem i can see people having is the same one I had. Figuring out how to use linux JUST for one thing was ridiculous. It isn't hard to do, took me about a week to figure out what I was doing. It just takes the ability to sit down and read a lot. All together I paid ~$500 for 4 hard drives and a raid card. Didn't pay a damn thing for linux, WOOT!

1,300 a year for 2 TB?

Is this a joke? Ohhh, alright, alright, I get it Techspot, where is Ashton Kutcher and the Punk'd crew?

Thats actually not that bad, we sell Online Backup Solutions at work and its like £10 a gigabyte. Although they have always sent out a harddrive for the first backup? sending out a hard drive isn't anything new.

I've tried mimedia and although the interface is clean -- I've found their service slow (Probably why they need to send you a drive home vs carbonite or OpenDrive.com). Anyway, for the price I just don't see it worth it. I've tried both Carbonite and Opendrive.com for backup and have to say I'd much rather use those two services -- both for the price and the fact that OpenDrive has been very fast for me and has a ton of features I've found useful.

Anyway, I guess we'll see where MiMedia is in a few months -- otherwise competitors like Carbonite or OpenDrive.com will continue to see my money.

Back