Minimum PC system requirements revealed for Crysis 2

Jos

Staff

Crytek has revealed the minimum PC system requirements for their highly anticipated shooter Crysis 2. The original title managed to score highly with critics, but was notorious for the steep hardware requirements needed to run the game at acceptable frame rates. Many gamers stayed away from it for this reason and consequently Crysis was perhaps more known as the prime benchmark for high-end graphics cards rather than a blockbuster hit.

The developer seemed to learn its lesson with Crysis Warhead and now it's promising to take graphics to new levels with an optimized CryEngine. Here are the minimum requirements for Crysis 2 according to the game's Facebook page:

• Internet connection required for activation
  • CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2Ghz, AMD Athlon 64 x2 2Ghz or better
  • 2 GB RAM
  • HDD: 9 GB
  • DVD ROM: 8x
  • GPU: NVIDIA 8800 GT 512MB RAM, ATI 3850HD 512Mb RAM or better
  • Keyboard, mouse, or Microsoft Xbox 360 controller for Windows

Note that these are just the minimum hardware requirements to play the game but Crytek isn't mentioning frame rates or quality settings. To play Crysis 2 in all its visual glory you'll still need a much more powerful rig and probably a last generation graphics card, although so far no recommended system specs have been published. We expect to hear more soon now that a multiplayer demo for PC is expected to land ahead of the game's release on March 22.

Permalink to story.

These requirements are surprisingly low. I mean, ATI 3850 or better? Come on.

I know what you guys mean, those systems wont play the original ;)

That is AWESOME! maybe I won't need to upgrade after all? I can run the orginal in high now so I assume I should be able to do the same here?

Nice one crytek! Pre-odering now :)

Steve said:
I know what you guys mean, those systems wont play the original ;)
But with them being the minimum system requirements, surely they are a little higher than that of crysis 1. I used to have an athlon X2 6000 and an 8800GT when I first got crysis and I played at 1680x1050 with mostly medium and the occasional high, all with very playable framerates.

@Steve exactly. It took awhile for a system to finally arrive which could play crysis at max settings.

But I'm betting these minimum rigs'll only be able to play crysis 2 at 25fps at best with blocky textures.

Seeing these minimum system requirements worries me, what the heck this is going to look like on console? Everyone know the PS3 uses a reworked 7950GT which is almost half as powerful as the 8800GT and the 360 isn't any better off. This means the game is either going to look really bad on console or has been ported really poorly to PC, I really hope its not the the 2nd one...

You can't really compare the consoles and the PC this way mate. Think of the PS3's cell broadband engine for instance. When it comes to crunching numbers it will whoop an i7's ***.

Guest said:
You can't really compare the consoles and the PC this way mate. Think of the PS3's cell broadband engine for instance. When it comes to crunching numbers it will whoop an i7's ***.

No it wont? The PS3 type of cpu didn't catch on for a reason

Back in 2007 when first Crysis was released, there was no available hardware capable of running the game maxed out. After two years only (2009) we started to have power CPU and GPU powerful enough to let us experience what is Crysis with maximum details at 1080p.

These minimum reqs for Crysis 2 are ridiculous. You won't be able to play it, not even the first one if you haven't yet.

After being a gamer for more than 20 years, I simply ignore the minimum requirements.

Go get yourself a treat and buy a LGA 1366 platform, overclock the CPU and definitely go for a SLI or CrossfireX.

Don't forget the big display (Full HD standard, i.e. 1080p) and a 5.1 or 7.1 Surround Sound System (pump up the volume!) [great sound card required as well].

Then, you'll experience the real Crysis!

Do you think you'll be ablt to play Crysis 2 in 3D with the minimum hardware required? Really?

The PC games are so great these days you can't rely on minimum specs to enjoy them!

Cheers!

the PS3 cell processor didn't catch on not because it's not powerfull but because it's very difficult to program with.

Guest said:
the PS3 cell processor didn't catch on not because it's not powerfull but because it's very difficult to program with.

It still isn't as powerful as an i7. An i7 has 4 physical and 4 logical cores or varients have 6 physical and 6 logical cores. The PS3 has 1 core and 7 spe's. It is not as powerful when it comes to crunching numbers.

It's all fine but the cell and a desktop processer are so different they can't really be compared. But the cell processor has like 1 full functioning core and like 8 SPEs around 3.2GHz each. It does somewhere around 2XX GFlops where the i7 can only do around 5X GFlops. Fact.

But it's pointless really because the cell is more akin to a GPU than a CPU.

And BTW the cell was discontinued not because it was less powerful but because it was based on IBM's PPC and IBM was threatening to pull the plug on PPC.

And this is really starting to get off topic so I bit you all farewell and a nice day ahead :)

Minimum requirements don't say anything.
On the other hand its is ported to the xBox so it is on DX9 tech level with probably some added DX10 stuff.
If it supports multi threading (weak point of Crysis) and makes good use of available Shader Power it might look/perform good but that does not make it a good game.
Really liked Far Cry but the further I got in Crysis the more I started to dislike it until it simply became unplayable.

Not too impressed with xBox multiplayer demo so let's hope it looks and play better on the PC.

Anyway, let's wait and see if they live up to their name and fame.

If Crytek are using the same dynamic LOD tricks that I saw in the 360 demo, then this game should run fine on PC rigs that meet the min spec. Still, I'm sure with all the bells and whistle on this game will be a PC killer.

The following is the min and recommended system reqs for the first crysis. The min. req. of Crysis 2 is higher than the recommended req. of Crysis 1. However, it is important to note that the requirements for Crysis 1 as stated below are deceiving. The recommended specs would only be able to play the game at medium/low at 1080p assuming that is a 8800gts 640 (not the 8800gts 512). Anyway, I still think that the min. req. for Crysis 2 are pretty high. Not long ago I had a 8800gt and was playing at medium setting 1080p at about 40fps.

Minimum System Requirements:
OS - Windows XP or Windows Vista
Processor - 2.8GHz or faster (XP); 3.2GHz or faster * (Vista)
Memory - 1GB RAM or 1.5GB RAM (Vista)
Video Card - 256MB **
Hard Drive - 12GB
Sound Card - DirectX 9.0c compatible

Recommended System Requirements:
OS - Windows XP / Vista
Processor - Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.2GHz
Memory - 2GB RAM
Video Card - Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS/640 or similar

People are assuming that Crysis 2 is going to be as taxing on the system as the original. The developers have stated repeatedly that's not going to happen again. They've spent 3 years tweaking the engine so it will provide even a better display without requiring anywhere near the CPU/GPU power the original did. The original was built so that there was no hardware ceiling the game wouldn't take advantage of. That's why it ground to a halt when you set it at max settings. They've adjusted it now so there really is a hardware ceiling to run the game at highest settings.

My guess is if you've done an upgrade in the last two years, chances are you're going to run Crysis 2 at near or max settings.

BTW - I'm playing the original Crysis again and on my new rig and man, is that one sweet looking game. Nothing else comes close to it. If you haven't played it in a while and done an upgrade since the last release, I'd highly recommend giving it a 2nd run-through.

Well, I don't mind if Crytek developes an engine that requiere nonexistent hardware (by this, I mean video cards)... it encourages Nvidia and AMD to create more powerful and efficient hardware.

I think those requirements are not lying, but don't forget that's the minimum not recommended. i think the recommended will be something like intel core i5 540/AMD Phenom II X3 CPU, GTX 260 or alike and 3GB RAM for Windows 7 =/

If the minimum graphics requirement is a GeForce 8800 GT, my guess is that the developers will probably recommend that you're running at least a GTX 275/285 or even a GTX 460 to enjoy the game at the highest settings.

TomSEA said:
My guess is if you've done an upgrade in the last two years, chances are you're going to run Crysis 2 at near or max settings.

Yep, picked up a Cray at a garage sale, and the workers are digging the trench for the upgraded power lines. Now I just need to find an old wind tunnel fan to install for cooling purposes.

Personally, I would like to see them change the name of the franchise. My first choice would be, "Douche Fest".

Should this happen, we would be treated to a few years of a new "internet meme".

People with nothing to add to the discussion, yet still possessing the desire and right to participate, would be able to post far and wide, "but will it run Douche Fest" **, in whatever new hardware discussion their mood should move them to visit.....:rolleyes:

**(Over a period of at least the next 5 years).

Back