Missing files when installing XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCase

Hi,

I'm trying to install XP. It keeps saying while formating cannot find file press enter to retry I press enter and it continues then cant find another file I press enter and keep going round like this every 2 minuites, the last part of the XP installation should take 30 mins it says now been running of 2 hours. I sprayed some WD40 into the CDROM could this effect it?

Thanks

Probably
But in actual fact, this type of error is usually to do with faulty Ram or CPU

You may need to clean (remove dust and reseat Ram) in that area

Lots of dust has now been removed and I swapped the ram but I am still getting:

Setup cannot copy the file: xxxxx.dll

I press enter to retry and it works but comes up with a different file every minuite

Depending on what the WD-40 got onto you could have a ruined CD-ROM drive if it wasn't already faulty. WD-40 is not a good lubricant. In fact, it dries and leaves a gummy residue. One of its main purposes is for water displacement (hence the WD) in electrical environments. It also affords some corrosion (rust) protection to hand tools but there are better products for that. But if you try to lubricate anything with it, it will seem fine for a few minutes until it dries out and then it will be worse than before.

If you got any on the laser lenses, their optical qualities will be impaired or ruined. I suppose they could be cleaned if you knew how.

if you are very gentile!!! you can clean the lens with a cotton swab an a stick with some surgical alcohol on it.when i say gentile think of an old record player needle.

have had these exact errors (files not found) when installing from a damaged CD (i.e. problems reading so could also be your drive in your case)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back