Missing IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a HP desktop with Windows XP that I attempted to install a Linksys wireless router to. Prior to installing my internet, which is through cable modem, was working fine. After attempting to install, I was no longer able to connect to the internet and the IP address on my 1394 connection was gone. It says connected and when I go under properties for it shows a blank spot where the IP address is supposed to be. I clicked repair but it says "TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection". I also have a Local Area connection 3 and a Local area connection 4 both state Limited or no connectivity. The 4 is VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter and the 3 is Intel 21041-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter. I no longer have the Linksys router and am just trying to get back on internet with that computer. Can anyone help me try to re-establish an IP address?

Do you actually have a network adapter attached to your Firewire (the IEEE 1394) connector?. I'm guessing not and guessing you never had an IP address there

More likely you have network adapters on your Ethernet ports (which are what the other LAN connections you see are referring to)

Click Start->Run, then copy/paste the command line below.
Code:
cmd /c ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig.txt"
The command will put an ipconfig.txt file on your desktop. Please attach it to your next post

Run CheckDisk on your drive and test again
Hi LookinAround, its just that CheckDisk is sometimes the issue

Ohhhh.... you mean Chkdsk! ;)

But really, you've seen chkdsk cause network connections to fail? (of course, most anything is possible with computers.. but never seen/heard of that before)

after a look at ipconfig i was going to suggest re-installing the network driver as that usually resets all the params back to defaults (which sometimes also cause the issue)

I have a HP desktop with Windows XP that I attempted to install a Linksys wireless router to. Prior to installing my internet, which is through cable modem, was working fine. After attempting to install, I was no longer able to connect to the internet and the IP address on my 1394 connection was gone. It says connected and when I go under properties for it shows a blank spot where the IP address is supposed to be. I clicked repair but it says "TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection". I also have a Local Area connection 3 and a Local area connection 4 both state Limited or no connectivity. The 4 is VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter and the 3 is Intel 21041-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter. I no longer have the Linksys router and am just trying to get back on internet with that computer. Can anyone help me try to re-establish an IP address?

After you do the Chkdsk /F and if it is still a no go do the following..

Delete all those local area connections and let Windows rebuild them for you on your network reboot. Also you could uninstall the drivers using Revo Uninstaller select the last option and remove everything for these both drivers off your system. Then reboot and run Ccleaner registry cleaner to remove any old junk code. Now install the drivers for your hardware.

Here's the ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-fsyly0jtwn Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection 3: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 21041-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter (Generic) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-F8-03-F2-27 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.19.180 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-A6-2C-5E-39 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.36.134 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Click Start->Run, then copy/paste the command line below.
Code:
cmd /c ipconfig /all > "%userprofile%\desktop\ipconfig.txt"
The command will put an ipconfig.txt file on your desktop. Please attach it to your next post
As your IPConfig pasted in results are very difficult to interpret
Please follow LookinAround's advice and then ATTACH the txt file using the Attach button >>
attach.gif
(located in the New Reply Window)

Windows IP Configuration Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : your-fsyly0jtwn Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : NoEthernet adapter Local Area Connection 3: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel 21041-Based PCI Ethernet Adapter (Generic) Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-F8-03-F2-27 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.19.180 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection 4: Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0E-A6-2C-5E-39 Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.36.134 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0 Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

You're getting a private IP address that starts off with the 169.xxx. Go into the router and what does it start off with 192.168.x.x Try to use a static IP address

Under NIC TCP/IP do static and enter in the next free address
IP 192.168.x.x
Subnet Mask 255.255.0.0
Router IP goes there

By-the-way is that Onboard NIC or is that PCI-Adapter? Onboard NIC from VIA Rihine seem to fail more I have 4 systems that have that VIA, I've disable through the BIOS and use Realtek Gig Adapters instead.

You're getting a private IP address that starts off with the 169.xxx. Go into the router and what does it start off with 192.168.x.x Try to use a static IP address

IP Address starting 169.xxx indicates the computer is failing to get a dynamic (DHCP) address assigned by the router. IMHO
1) If DHCP is failing, is likely that static wouldn't work either
2) Users who simply assign static addresses may not understand there's more involved and other problems that can occur as a result (e.g. getting machine errors caused by underlying IP address conflicts because some other machine already has the IP address via DHCP)
3) So...IMHO should just get DHCP working is best solution on many levels (for the novice user)

So outstanding question is still: We see two network adapters
> VIA Rhine and
> Intel 21041
Which one is actually being used to connect to the router? And would still advise simplest is uninstall/reinstall the network driver often fixes DHCP connect errors (as well as power cycling the computer and the router)

IP Address starting 169.xxx indicates the computer is failing to get a dynamic (DHCP) address assigned by the router. IMHO
2) Users who simply assign static addresses may not understand there's more involved and other problems that can occur as a result (e.g. getting machine errors caused by underlying IP address conflicts because some other machine already has the IP address via DHCP)
3) So...IMHO should just get DHCP working is best solution on many levels (for the novice user)

> VIA Rhine and
> Intel 21041
Which one is actually being used to connect to the router? And would still advise simplest is uninstall/reinstall the network driver often fixes DHCP connect errors (as well as power cycling the computer and the router)

VIA could be onboard NIC that should be disabled in the BIOS well it can't hurt running it along side PCI or PCI-E NIC, still system IRQ resources would be thus be freed by disabling it. Anything on the MOBO should be disabled if your not using those features. Just saying..

169.xx. Private IP or as you say failing to get DHCP from the router well that's correct! We just say Private IP. But but if you uncheck all those checked items in the TCP/IP properties on the NIC then hit apply or okay then reboot the system windows will refresh the NIC settings. Or you can re-check them and force the system to discover the DHCP again is another method I use to fix this issue. If this system was on business domain could use a free program I wrote called GPF which would force group polices to be reloaded onto the system thus making it rejoin the local domain.

Let the OP tells us if the VIA Fast is on the motherboard or the Intel NIC is either PCI or PCI-E adapter.

> VIA Rhine and
> Intel 21041

VIA could be onboard NIC that should be disabled in the BIOS well it can't hurt running it along side PCI or PCI-E NIC, still system IRQ resources would be thus be freed by disabling it. Anything on the MOBO should be disabled if your not using those features. Just saying..

169.xx. Private IP or as you say failing to get DHCP from the router well that's correct! We just say Private IP. But but if you uncheck all those checked items in the TCP/IP properties on the NIC then hit apply or okay then reboot the system windows will refresh the NIC settings. Or you can re-check them and force the system to discover the DHCP again is another method I use to fix this issue.

Let the OP tells us if the VIA Fast is on the motherboard or the Intel NIC is either PCI or PCI-E adapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back