Missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi , I presently have one hard drive in my computer which is divided into two, both of equal sizes.... I reformatted the second drive {D} and installed windows XP on to this,, everything was fine until i had probs with drive C[ the first partition] and i had to reinstall windows! Now the second operating system on drive D [ later partition}is not being recognised at start up where before it was,, Is there a way to get both recognised at start up again to give myself the option on which i select?

The partition can be accessed but not at start up!

Thanks

You lost the data when you changed the C: file structure. Why not delete both partitions and use the entire HDD with a fresh copy of XP? Is there something wrong with the HDD as it sound like it?

No, the HD itself is fine , but i considered it more of a safety feature having two part ions with XP on, I thought it would enable me to use the drive if one went down since all the files are visible,, The files are still visible but the OS isn't now on the second partition at start up.

examine the file c:\boot.ini
It will look like
Code:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
[B]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)[/B]\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
The title at the end is for selection prompting at boot time and the critical
info is the first four elements.
You second partition would be accessed using
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
change the prompt so you can pick the one you wish :)

Thanks Jobeard,, By altering the selection to {0}disc{0}rdisc[0}partition{2} it has now given me the option to either select default or alternative windows operating system on later partition. Although there is little reason to alternate often between the two, It still gives me the option to format either partition and maintain my desired environment on the other, rather than completely wiping the HD. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back