Mixing memory types

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvilPeppard

My gaming rig originally had 1GB of matched Corsair PC5400 XMS in it. I play WoW and needed more RAM due to severe chop in the game, so I could and additional 2GB of Corsair PC6400C4 XMS memory.

My question is, will I lose performance running both 5400 and 6400 together, or should I dump the 5400 and just run the 2GB of 6400?

I have no other machine to stick the 5400 in. I also ran 3D Mark 2005 both with all 3GB in and with only the 2GB of 6400 and had no noticeable performance difference on the score.

What do you think? Thank you for your feedback.

well, if you would've had 3gb of the 6400 ram it would've been best, but as for now, the situation is as follows: You either have 2Gb of the 6400 ram, which would be fastest(but you would have 2gb instead of 3) when you would insert the 5400, it would probably default to the slowest(in this case 5400) speed.(but you would have 3GB). As you said, it didn't have any noticeable performance difference. Therefore, I would just insert the complete 3gb. You could test the performance in a few games if you wish, see if it makes any difference at all.

Exonimus said:
well, if you would've had 3gb of the 6400 ram it would've been best, but as for now, the situation is as follows: You either have 2Gb of the 6400 ram, which would be fastest(but you would have 2gb instead of 3) when you would insert the 5400, it would probably default to the slowest(in this case 5400) speed.(but you would have 3GB). As you said, it didn't have any noticeable performance difference. Therefore, I would just insert the complete 3gb. You could test the performance in a few games if you wish, see if it makes any difference at all.
Thanks for the feedback. I played WoW last night with the 3GB in and it was very nice, increased framerates and chop was virtually nil.

I took the 1Gb of 5400 out this morn and will try WoW again with just the 6400 in to see how it runs.

I agree, the system will probably kick the 6400 down to run at the 5400's speed.

Another thought though....I am running an ASUS P5AD2 Deluxe. Memory support is as follows:

Memory:
- Dual channel memory architecture
- 4 x 240 pin DIMM sockets support unbuffered non-ECC 533/400 MHz DDR memory modules
- Up to 4GB system memory
- Native DDR2-600 support

Can my system even take advantage of the PC5400 or PC6400 capabilities? (this was pointed out to me by a poster on another forum).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back