Mobo shorting out, or fried cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i just finished gathering all the parts for my new comp, and when i turned it on, the fans and everything powered up then immediately powered back down. the mobo light remained lit, however. i tried running it without the 2x2 power connection and everything seems to run fine (but obviously w/out a cpu). the fans will run and the monitor works (but with no feed of course). any ideas what the problem is, and could some place like best buy test any of my parts for me? mind you these are all new parts from newegg, but they coule be faulty. thanks in advance!

That could be a dead CPU. It could also be the motherboard not properly recognizing the CPU. (my guess)

If you suspect that the mobo might be shorting out, then the best thing to do is to try assembling it outside the case on a cardboard box and see if it runs.

Also please put your full specs in your public profile, thank you!

mk i added my specs in profile, thx for telling me. anyway, i tried assembling just the essentials outside the case but with the same results. ANY help would be greatly appreciated :/ this bad boy wasn't cheap and i'd hate to wait too long and not be able to exchange something.

i tried running it without the 2x2 power connection and everything seems to run fine (but obviously w/out a cpu).

Now that I think about it, every single time that's happened to me (powers on without CPU power connection) it was because of motherboard being faulty or the motherboard not recognizing the CPU because of an out-dated BIOS.

So if I were you, I'd focus on the mobo. If possible get/borrow another CPU to test with and see if you get the same results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back