Modem is in use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arc

I was sitting around when all of a sudden my ISP said "You have been disconnected from the internet". This isn't anything new. I usually get a "Juno could not contact its central computers" every 20 minutes or so and have to reconnect. I've never gone longer than 45 minutes or so without having to reconnect.

This time upon reconnect it said my modem was already in use. I went ahead and restarted my pc, because that's fixed the problem before. No dice. Modem is still in use. Okay, so I turn off the pc, unplug the phone line and try to see if Juno will tell me that I don't have a dial tone. It still says that my modem is in use. I restart again and try a manual connection to see if Juno is the problem. Nope, that spits back that the modem is in use.

I pop into the device manager and see that my modem is supposedly working fine. I poke around on the modem properties (pretending to know what I'm doing), and recieve that my COM3 port cannot be opened. Okay, I go down to the ports area in the device manager and notice that only my printer port is listed.

Following the windows troubleshooter, I tried to reinstall the COM port, but that only installed COM4. I may not know much of what I'm doing but COM3 =/= COM4.

I broke down and pulled out my older PC to check the phone line. I am online, so that says that it can't be my lines. Also, I've been online for way longer than 20 minutes. I'm going on one hour without a single disconnection. This is feeling sort of weird.

I suspect the modem itself is bad. PCI modems are so inexpensive these days, I'd get another one.

Because I was feeling adventurous, and I asked myself what was the worst that could happen, I decided to do a modem switch. :) I replicated the issue on the old girl, so I suppose it's all fixed now.

Who would have thought seven year modem > seven month modem. I suppose it happens.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back