Modem Self-Shutdown (Forced Dynamic IP?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebaronjocelin

I recently moved up north for a month to spend some time with a friend of mine. She says her ISP forces subscribers to have a dynamic IP configuration, with local DHCP (router-based). I didn't believe her, and so I set up a static IP on all the computers in the household (including IP reservation on the router) to increase my down speed and up speed through port forwarding.

Now, the modem has begun to shutoff. I was of the mind that prohibiting users from making a static address was illegal or some such, but perhaps I was wrong. Is the modem going down because of my static addresses, or for some other reason?

If there was a IP conflict on the network it may act strange, but not shutdown.

What are you settings as your DNS server/s when you manually assign yourself an IP address?

My DNS is the same as my Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1. Standard stuff.

I got it from a computer that was dynamically configured by using "ipconfig /all", then copied it into the static IP settings. I think it's something particular to the Service Electric cable ISP, or to the Motorola Surfboard modems.

You could try assigning public DNS servers rather than the gateway as your static DNS servers.
Or try assigning yourself a higher range static IP address that's not in use (E.G: 192.168.1.150).

Generally, if it's a cable modem and you have 1 PC running directly into it, you receive public DNS credentials. If you add a router to the equation and configure it properly, it can then be the DHCP server for the LAN. Statically assigning IP addresses shouldn't make a difference connection wise, as long as you can ping the gateway once you have assigned yourself a static IP.

It could just be the router stuffing up. What kind of router is it btw?

STATIC ip addresses are used for SERVERS to facilitate global DNS access.
You would need to purchase one (during the domain registration process)
and the ISP would need to update its configuration.

DHCP is much less hastle for client systems and is the preferred technique.

Over and over I see people trying to force static addresses for bogus reasons,
including performance and port forwarding -- None of which are vaild.
The modem address is usually a public IP and the WAN side of the router
will mimic it. You can use static addresses on the LAN side of the router --
if you like entring four IP parms per machine :(

For systems directly attached to the modem, you MUST use DHCP.

Connection is CAT-5e to a Netgear WGR614v6 router, with DHCP enabled. I've already setup all my parameters on all my machines, each with separate addresses. The modem is a Surfboard series, possibly 5101. I'm about to ring up the ISP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back