Modem Speed Up Tweaks And Techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rashidaliamjad

Good Evening ,

hows every 1 ?

well guys i use internet on telephone line with 56 k modem. but the speed gets really slow , in fact there is very little or no loading of page sometimes. And here in my village i cannot get dsl or cable net or any other wireless internet connection. But i heard that there some tweaks for modems that speed them up a little bit. So i was wondering if any one could help me by providing some tweaks and links to get tweaks. i just want the pages load normally. At the moment they are very slow.

Guys i have Lucent Modem.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance.

Really depends on what you got for dial-up modem? Some had dual 16K buffers which really speed up the connection in PCI bus and some for laptop where 32-bit faster than 16-bit PCMICA. If you got a WD type they you're out of luck. Those are dem slower models. The best way to go was to buy a ZOOM external DUAL 56K modem. But those uses a serial port 9-pin or 25-pin. On avg you should get out of 56K connection 43K to 49K. Let me give you another example if you were working in a company on large scale and they had a good modem connections you would get at best 53K. Again these numbers could rise or fall. Now for tweaks there were programs that increase the connection but alot of those sites kind of die out.. There might be some around but you'll have to check.

Controlling the modem init string is usually the big payoff.
This glossary shows the ATI command set. Be sure to set &K6 (hardware+software flow control)
and your thruput will be very good.

Also for dialup connections, set the MTU to 572. Yea it seems counter intuitive,
but a smaller MTU increase thruput by eleminating transmission errors and reducing the time to retransmit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back