Modern Warfare 3 shatters one-day entertainment sales records

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The latest installment in the Call of Duty franchise has become the biggest entertainment launch of all time, smashing the previous record set by its predecessor a year ago. Modern Warfare 3 brought in over $400 million in revenue in 24 hours, selling 6.5 million copies in the US and UK.

Call of Duty: Black Ops generated $360 million on opening day last year, again setting a new record that was previously held by a Call of Duty title. In 2009, Modern Warfare 2 sold roughly 4.7 million units in the first 24 hours available, good for $310 million in revenue.

modern warfare black ops activision ea call of duty modern warfare 3 battlefield 3 infinity ward

"We believe the launch of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is the biggest entertainment launch of all time in any medium, and we achieved this record with sales from only two territories," said Activision Blizzard CEO Bobby Kotickt. "Other than Call of Duty, there has never been another entertainment franchise that has set opening day records three years in a row. Life-to-date sales for the Call of Duty franchise exceed worldwide theatrical box office for 'Star Wars' and 'Lord of the Rings,' two of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time."

At this rate, it’s pretty much a given that Modern Warfare 3 will set a new record for five-day sales worldwide. Black Ops did the same by earning $650 million, beating all theatrical box office, book and video game sales records for the same time period.

While the records are impressive, it can be a bit unfair to compare a video game launch to other entertainment releases based on revenue alone. A video game typically sells for $50-60 while a movie, for example, will only set you back $10-15 and many books are under $20.

EA’s Battlefield 3 launched late last year to generally positive reviews from critics. In a conference call to investors, EA CEO John Riccitiello stated that Battlefield 3 had shipped 10 million units within a week of its release, making it the fastest-selling game in EA history.

Permalink to story.

first we have those isheep junkies and know the Call of Duty Sheep Warfare punks....No mames thats to sad.

And activision (Kocklick) gets richer and richer, while imbeciles get the same old COD 4 with spray paint year after year. Losers!!

Of course they fail to mention the sub 2.0 Metatcritic rating that PC/360 and PS3 users are all giving it.

Here's to media blitzing and bought reviews.. and here's to millions of disenfranchised customers telling Activision /IW/Sledge to get stuffed.

Guest said:
Of course they fail to mention the sub 2.0 Metatcritic rating that PC/360 and PS3 users are all giving it.

Here's to media blitzing and bought reviews.. and here's to millions of disenfranchised customers telling Activision /IW/Sledge to get stuffed.

Not like it matters much. They probably made enough money on day one sales to cover the development of the game. The rest will go to Kotick's secret room of Justin Bieber paraphernalia, and don't ask me how I know this.

you are very ignorant.
haters are gonna hate..
But this game is really fun and nobody really regrets buying it..
It is a small investment for the amount of time you will have fun playing it if you are going to be playing video games anyway. Just because you particulary dont like it, it makes you look stupid to just hate on it for absolutely no reason. The improvements they made are not necessarily drastic, but nobody wants drastic changes. Seems to me you obviously have no idea about what you are talking about..

I plan on getting it myself. My PS3 is currently modded so I don't know if I'll be getting too much into the online play, but I don't mind playing a bit of offline multiplayer.

Guest said:
you are very ignorant.
haters are gonna hate..
But this game is really fun and nobody really regrets buying it..
It is a small investment for the amount of time you will have fun playing it if you are going to be playing video games anyway. Just because you particulary dont like it, it makes you look stupid to just hate on it for absolutely no reason. The improvements they made are not necessarily drastic, but nobody wants drastic changes. Seems to me you obviously have no idea about what you are talking about..

>Claim others are ignorant
>follow by claiming NOBODY regrets buying it
>end with saying NOBODY wants drastic changes

I think we all know who the ignorant person is here.

finally someone who understands the concept of video games, good for you buddy!
p.s. im serious

MW3 is nothing more but money milking rubbish from the greedy publisher. They should had stopped after the first one and take these shove it up from their behind.

Guest said:

A good portion of those 'reviews' are by dorks who don't even own the game. There are legitimate complaints about the game, but that rating is being skewed by nerds with a hate-on for a franchise they don't like for whatever odd reason.

@DokkRokken: Actually I think most would agree CoD was a great franchise right up to and including CoD 4 Modern Warfare. After that Activision got lazy and started releasing half assed ****, to which they found people bought anyways. So why invest in developing a good game when you can just re-release the same game over and over and people will keep buying it?

I think the main problem with the series is the attention these games get feels undeserving. its important to note how much better a COD game is on console than PC. It really feels stale on PC.

@DokkRokken: Actually I think most would agree CoD was a great franchise right up to and including CoD 4 Modern Warfare. After that Activision got lazy and started releasing half assed ****, to which they found people bought anyways. So why invest in developing a good game when you can just re-release the same game over and over and people will keep buying it?
I'm afraid it's the same with almost every video game franchise... the series begins with an original concept after which it becomes watered down to suit a broader audience or gameplay is sacrificed over graphics. Nothing new there.

No one else find these companies fail at naming their games?
Call Of Duty 4 Modern Warfare
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 2
Call Of Duty Modern Warfare 3

Need For Speed 3 Hot Pursuit
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit 2
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit

I guess Activision's scheme makes a little more sense.

@caravel: Or in this case, graphics sacrificed and gameplay remains the same.

Whats hard to acknowledge for us, even though (most of us) hate it, is that people are allowed to spend money on whatever they want, even if its a very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very similar game to the last one. Some people, believe it or not, actually LIKE buying $60 dollar expansion packs.

You know when a parent tells you that they're not upset with you, just disappointed. Well that's how CoD has been the last couple years. There's no reason to get upset, don't waste your money if its not your cup of tea. Besides, CoD fills a very important roll in the gaming industry, and this is going to get a lot of hate, it keeps all those "CoD Fans" (Lots of annoying children) off the Battlefield servers. So, for that I do thank you.

Come on people gets your head out of the sand; can you not see what Activision doing here? They gave all of you a middle finger and laughed their ways to the bank.

ramonsterns said:
Guest said:

Not like it matters much. They probably made enough money on day one sales to cover the development of the game. The rest will go to Kotick's secret room of Justin Bieber paraphernalia, and don't ask me how I know this.

i imagine most of the profits go towards running the huge servers for the next 5 years, something which would cost millions of dollars on top of the actual development cost of the game.

This was from the earlier
To absolutely nobody's surprise, the first Modern Warfare 3 hack (for the PC version) is now in the wild. The aimbot package makes it impossible to miss and allows cheats to annihilate all comers and make games unplayable.

Similar hacks appeared for the game's predecessor, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. They are typically used by those wanting to rank up quickly (and unlock items), trolls who just love to annoy people and scumbag cheats who struggle to function in life. All three are generally despised in gaming communities.

The problem is, due to MW3's matchmaking system, as with its predecessor, once such a player appears, it's nigh on impossible to get rid of them. With no server admins or server rules, cheats (and other types of freaks) can't be kicked or banned. Furthermore, finishing a game and changing lobby all too often dumps you right back in the same place with the same person - they can't be got rid of.

The released video shows a player score over 100 kills with no deaths:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=a4Mr6o79p2s

Previous advice has been to report people to Steam, but Steam is deluged with accusations, coming from people who confuse lag for cheating and don't trust anyone who displays signs of great skill.

Security from hackers has been a major excuse by the developers for not having proper, ranked dedicated servers. However, hacks plagued MW2 and look set to affect the trust of MW3 players already.

Other hacks we can expect to see include the instant 'maximum level promotion hack'. This can occur whether you want it to or not - if you inadvertently appear in a hacked lobby. The easiest solution here is to hit 'Prestige' and start again. Other popular MW2 hacks allowed cheats to see and fire through walls.

Occasionally, however, it should be noted that some hacks can be incredibly entertaining - when they become mods. These occasionally appeared in MW2 and allowed for highly-variable gameplay. One mod rolled a dice every time you spawned which gave you either a (potentially-massive) power-up or a (potentially-massive) burden. Others gave everyone rapid fire RPGs. These mods should appear on the unranked MW3 dedicated servers and will benefit from not giving players actual XP - which can be very high.

Sites exist saying what cheats are available for previous Call of Duty games but the depressing list is huge. The hacks are all available for sale and while the site claims they're undetectable, opposing players tend to notice when one player has a 10:1 ratio on everyone else. The list of available exploits is huge:

Aimbot

- Autobot
- AimThru
- AimAt
- AimKey
- Visibility Check
- BoneScan
- Knifebot
- AutoSwitch
- Autoshoot
- AutoWall
- AutoZoom
- AutoProne
- Field Of View
- Human Aim
- Aim Speed
- Ping Correction
- Friendly Aim

Esp

- Name
- Distance
- Pose
- Skeleton
- Smiley Face
- Weapon
- BoundingBox
- Line
- AimDirection
- HeadDot
- See Dropped Weapons
- Helicopter
- Planes
- Sentries
- RCXD
- Dogs
- Explosives
- Explosive warning
- Enemy warning
- 2D Radar

Removals

- No Recoil
- No Spread

Misc

- ZoomHack
- PlayerHud
- Draw Stats
- Chat Spam
- Draw Fps
- Draw Time
- Draw Resolution
- Crosshair

Settings

- Set the fade of the radar
- Set the fade of the stats
- Four slots to save settings
- Ability to move menu
- Menu fully mouse controlled

Artists impression of two hackers.

Whatever the reason Activision and the developers chose to stay with matchmaking on PC, it would be helpful if they helped players manage the situation by allowing votes to kick blatant offenders. As we saw yesterday, the constant suspicion of cheating enrages many players leading to all kinds of abuse and accusations which in turn make the game on the whole a hostile place to play - especially for young kids.

We'll contact the developers to see their view on these matters and update this article accordingly.

Thanks for copy and pasting the post from the link you posted above already. It's not completely unnecessary or anything.

Just to comment on it. Valve will not ever take into account reports from players because according to them VAC is magical and instantly catches any and all cheaters and nobody can slip through the cracks. If you report someone you'll just be told that they don't take into account reports done by players.

princeton said: "Valve will not ever take into account reports from players because according to them VAC is magical and instantly catches any and all cheaters and nobody can slip through the cracks. If you report someone you'll just be told that they don't take into account reports done by players."

True, but not for long. Chet Faliszek discussed Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in an interview two weeks ago. Chet said that you will now be able to blacklist players you never want to play with again (only in matchmaking games of course), and you will be able to report suspected cheaters to Valve so they can look into them. I'm speculating but there will probably be a report feature built into the game. So they will be taking a new approach to stopping cheaters, and they won't just rely on VAC.

Presumably if someone is reported say twenty times in a day their account will be red flagged. Then Valve will check your statistics to see if anything is really off (a hundred back to back headshots). Or maybe they will do like IJJI and take a screenshot of the suspects game when they are reported (to check for wallhacks). Only time will tell, but since they are doing this for CSGO, you can bet this will be a standard in new games that support VAC in the future.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9qbR4Olm_k

Back