Monitor color problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xclusiveitalian

After installing the updated driver for my Nvidia 6800 gt graphics card I noticed my screen had become a little brighter with slightly more red and some icons and words looked slightly hazy. My monitor (hp w2338h - using AVG plug) has and "auto" button on it that automatically detects the correct color/shading/brightness etc to make my picture always perfect. After the update I saw my screen wasn't right but the monitor auto-adjustment is not fixing it. What fixed it was uninstalling my nivdia cards and letting my computer install the factory drive and my desktop coloring looks fine. Any idea why when I update my graphics driver it is making my computers color different? Perhaps it's the drivers themselves? Im running Vista Home premium 64 bit(default installed OS), and my graphics card is Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT(default video card)

Have you try installing the drivers a second time after the problem first occurred? Maybe something wasn't installed correctly. Also make sure your using the right driver for your graphics card and OS. If that still doesn't help you can always go into the Nvidia control panel and adjust the colors there.
By AVG plug you do mean VGA right? In which case if you monitor supports DVI I would suggest getting a DVI cable to replace your VGA, this isn't 100% necessary but it helps with color settings and sharpness sometimes.

I tried reinstalling the drivers but the same problem occurs, at first it looks right but right as the drivers are installing, right before the installation finishes, it almost readjusts the color to this distorted one. Sorry about the errors I wrote this pretty late at night, I ment VGA, and my graphics card is the geforce 9800 GT. My monitor has an hdmi port in the back do you think I should get an hdmi cable hook that up?

Only if the graphics card also has a HDMI port. Otherwise try a DVI as Adhmuz suggested.

I attached an image which might explain the problem im going to try do a better reinstall again and hope for success

Update: Tried reinstalling the drivers...unsuccesful, now it's even brighter...

Unfortunately the attached image looks fine to me? It appears just fine, comparing the start bar to mine they look identical, this means theres nothing wrong with how your graphics card is rendering your image. You can get DVI to HDMI cables from most electronic stores but don't spend more than $20. It may be that the new drivers changed the profile for the VGA out on your card and your monitor isn't displaying it properly.

I am having this exact same problem, I also have a 9800GT. However, the color seemed perfectly fine when I was using Vista. I just upgraded to Windows 7 today, and after it finished installing my screen was a lot brighter and the colors, especially reds, were distorted. I've tried adjusting it through the nvidia control panel, but it just isn't the same as it was before.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and I noticed that while I was installing them the colors returned to normal, but once it finished the colors got distorted again. Likewise, when I turn on my computer and it's on the loading screen, the colors are normal but once it gets to the desktop it gets distorted again. If I just leave the drivers uninstalled, then everything's fine also.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but this problem is bothering me too ><.

I am having this exact same problem, I also have a 9800GT. However, the color seemed perfectly fine when I was using Vista. I just upgraded to Windows 7 today, and after it finished installing my screen was a lot brighter and the colors, especially reds, were distorted. I've tried adjusting it through the nvidia control panel, but it just isn't the same as it was before.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and I noticed that while I was installing them the colors returned to normal, but once it finished the colors got distorted again. Likewise, when I turn on my computer and it's on the loading screen, the colors are normal but once it gets to the desktop it gets distorted again. If I just leave the drivers uninstalled, then everything's fine also.

Sorry if I'm derailing the thread, but this problem is bothering me too ><.

Thats exactly what is happening to me, to fix it i installed an older driver and its fine but not being able to install the newer drivers isnt good. I was going to post on the nvidia forums but they were down.

Thats exactly what is happening to me, to fix it i installed an older driver and its fine but not being able to install the newer drivers isnt good. I was going to post on the nvidia forums but they were down.

What driver do you have installed? I keep trying to find older drivers on the nvidia website, but all I can find is their newest one. Any pointers would help immensely.

Also, let me know how posting on the nvidia website goes! :)

First I go to nvidia.com, than download driver look at the bottom of the page under "Additional Software and Drivers" you'll see link to Beta and Archived Drivers" go there than put your exact information about your video card and OS in and you wll get list, i tried atlest 6 different ones, and in the end I honestly dont remember which one im using now all i remember is it was an older driver perhaps "GeForce/ION Release 185 WHQL 185.85" "May 7, 2009" tho i cant be positive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back