Monitor discoloration

Status
Not open for further replies.

infamous

Sometimes when i get movies, i wanna watch em on my bed. but theres one problem, when i turn my monitor, the sides or my screen become grayscale. its really weird, i turn my monitor to my left and right each time becomes grayscale, but it isnt the actual turning, thats making it gray, its the direction its facing. so i picked up my whole monitor and made it face the way i wanted it. and of course, there was discoloration. i took a ss of the screen, opened it up in paint, and the pixels show no discoloration. So it must be an external prolbem. has anyone ever encountered or had this problem? is there a way to solve it? i know that magnets can cause monitors to act strangly, but there are no magnets in sight. Please dont tell me i gotta get another one lol.

Monitors ARE pretty cheap these days.. :)

You are probably correct at guessing it is a monitor problem. Good deductive work with the screen shot idea.

If you feel interference may be to blame, check for any components near your monitor that are electronic. Cell phones and TVs in particular emit some pretty monitor-altering interference. I admit though, I don't think I have seen your problem before (judging by the description).

Theres probably a bad connection somewhere in there, and when you turn the moniter it dissconnects,etc.

Did you know Earth's magnetic field does that to CRT displays too? It shouldn't happen when the monitor is rotated on its x-axis but y-axis instead.

Do you have any other machines near the monitor? Like a fridge, heater or something?

ty for the replies.

Mictlantecuhtli: it is only effected when its rotated on the x axis.

SOB: i tried that just now, no effect.

umm the only things near the monitor is a lava lamp about 6 inches to the right, 5.1 speakers, and the cpu case, about 1 foot below the monitor. O, and i have found something out, i recently when to a lan party at a friends house. brought the monitor, set everything up. i rotated the monitor and nothing happened (which is good). So it shud b something in my room. ill put some digi cam pic up soon. again ty for the replies.

Magnets won't cause it to go black and white.
Its most likely the cable or its connections- youre stressing it when you turn it and the chromo pins are loosing contact.

my2cents

Originally posted by Godataloss
Magnets won't cause it to go black and white.
Its most likely the cable or its connections- youre stressing it when you turn it and the chromo pins are loosing contact.

my2cents

I agree its probably that

hmm at least 3 ft south east from it. magnets dont turn it black and white? kk, ill conduct more tests.

EDIT: it isnt stress on the wires, in its standard position, i moved the wires in a 360 degree rotation, including the one connected to the mobo. ss ocmin in like 10 mins

Yeh everythign sounds like a magnetic field except the black and white. Its got to be your pins OR your cable. Try not turning the monitor and moving around the monitor cable a bit. Also make sure its connected good to your video card, I know lots of times I don't screw mine in I just push it on.

eureka!

that's it! sngx (it's a zen thing) in other words, just a gut feeling, let's see if that isn't the case.

Originally posted by SNGX1275
Yeh everythign sounds like a magnetic field except the black and white. Its got to be your pins OR your cable. Try not turning the monitor and moving around the monitor cable a bit. Also make sure its connected good to your video card, I know lots of times I don't screw mine in I just push it on.

After reading the initial post in this thread I thought "damaged cable". I used to have an old Tatung 15" CRT which had the cable damaged near the connector for the video card. So I had an elaborate elastic band arrangement to hold the cable in a particular way so that the display colours showed properly, otherwise they went kinda yellow. I'd say its most likely the cable being damaged in some place...

ok, i cunducted more tests. i unplugged the cable from the back of the comp, blew air, u know, to try and get dust out, plugged it back in. and guess what, when i turn the monitor to the position that it turned gray, it was fine. im like nice, but when i turned it full the OTHER way, it was gray -_-. through many trials, i came to a conclusion that the way the monitor is facing when the cable is plugged back into the mobo, it will b fine. and either turning it left or right, not both, will cause the discoloration. so we'have eliminated the possiblity of magnets, ne field of disruption in the area. i cant firgure out if the experiment i just did identifies the problem dealing with the monitor itself, or the RGB cables in the back. wut do u guys think?

as rick mentioned

crts are getting cheap......obviously a connection problem inside of the monitor,cya......i picked up a sony 21" gdm-f520 refurbished, on ebay, 500 bucks......considering they want 2000 for it, if you can find it....schweet, deals are everywhere as originally mentioned....crt's are becoming very inexpensive.

I'm still putting my money on broken wires in the cable. The only 15" I had ages ago required quite a bit of flexing and bending in different ways to fix the yellow discolouring the monitor suffered. It then had to be fixed in that position. I'm better that having disconnected and moved the cable about you moved it enough to sort the positioning of the broken wires so that turning one way doesn't move them apart whilst the other way still does.
With the cable plugged in work your way along the cable and just flex each couple of inches a little left/right/up/down and see if the colouring in the screen changes...

You can find 17" for as cheap as $70-$80 at electronics stores.

19" run from $150 and up, typically

And I've seen 21" monitors for the fair price of $350 or more.

awwwwww, thats the thing, i cant spare ne money, im savin up for my lax gear. :/ . i guess i'll have to live with it :(. ty for all your replies and inputs. ^^

hmmm it is stuck in pretty hard, but i havent tried takin it out lol. i dont really wanan try. if i break it, i wont have another monitor for months :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back