Monitor displays "Out of Range" at 1080p (graphics card issue?)

I've had my HKC 21.6" monitor for over a year now, and i've been using it with my PC at 1920 x 1080 with no problems.
However, two days ago the screen suddenly went black and displayed the message "Out of Range". I've had to drop the resolution to 1680 x 1050 in order to see anything.

I've tested the monitor with the same VGA cable but with a different computer - this worked fine, so i'm assuming it's something to do with my computer.
I've tried reinstalling my video drivers, but this had no effect. My card is an ATi Radeon HD 5770, haven't had any problems with it before.

Obviously this is pretty irritating since anything other than the native resolution tends to look ugly.

Any help appreciated :)

Best thing I can advise is. Grab the latest WHQL ATI and CCC drivers.

before installing, uninstall your ati drivers in safe mode and your monitor from device manager.

Boot into normal mode and install the drivers. Make sure in setting you take off check for only display resolutions this monitor can handle,,, ok give it a shot.. let us know.. gl

Uninstalled drivers, monitor strangely wasn't listed in the device manager.
Booted into normal and installed the drivers again (as I had before)

Restarted and went to change resolution, and it worked! :D

I don't know if it was uninstalling the drivers in safe mode (with device manager) and then finishing the job in normal mode, or if it was the fact that I unticked "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display" but it worked.

Thanks.

For anyone with the same problem:
  • Boot into safe mode, uninstall video drivers
  • Boot normally, reinstall drivers
  • Restart PC, right click desktop -> Screen Resolution
  • Monitor tab -> Uncheck "Hide modes that this monitor cannot display"
  • Click Apply/OK
  • Set resolution to 1080p and hope

Back