Monitor goes standby after windows xp loading screen HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fromal

Hi all,

I have a Geforce 6600gt 128mb which i have had for about 5 months now and all of a sudden today, my computer screen freezes and shuts off. Now everytime i boot my computer, it gets to windows loading screen with the moving bar and then after that the compute goes black and after 5 seconds goes to standby but the computer is still running. I tried going into safe mode and reinstalling the drivers for my video card from both the website and my driver cd but when i go to install the drivers, it goes black agian and then into standby again. please does anyone know why this is and how to fix it?

thanks.

How about booting into BIOS. Any problems there?

Have you added any other new hardware recently? Just wondering if your PSU is getting overwhelmed. It may be that your PSU is on it's last legs as well. If you have a bunch of USB hardware plugged in (that require power from the USB port) or additional hard drives you have added lately, try taking them out and see if this doesn't fix you up.

Do you have another PSU you can test in your system?

hmmmm, my cuzzin had a simaler problem because only the fan of video card was caked in with dust, make sure the fan is working on the video card, and clean out any dust.

Thanks for responding.

I am able to boot into the BIOS.

The PSU I have is 480 watts and I just bought it about 6 or 7 months ago. I havent put any new hardwarde devices in my computer recently either. However, the motherboard/hardware in the case is VERY VERY dusty so i might try to clean that out too.

Ok. I cleaned out the dust very thoroughly and im still getting the same problem. Any more input?

Thanks.

I still think your PSU is the prime suspect. Just a guess at this point, but let's keep exploring.

Download and run speedfan:

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/547-speedfan.html

and tell us what it is saying for your voltage readings on the 3v, 5v and 12v rails.

Also, what make is your psu (open the case and check the sticker attached to it).

The other thing you can do for some troubleshooting, is test your ram to see if it is failing. Download and run www.memtest.org on your system. Let it run for 6 or 7 passes (it will take a few hours) and get back to us.

Good luck!

ok but before i do that. i think i should mention that there are random characers filling up the screen when i boot my computer before it gets to windows loading screen. when it displays the mobo/bios info there are lines running down the screen do you think my video card could have fried?

thanks.

It's possible that a faulty PSU could also be causing those lines, but it may be a dead GPU. You don't by chance have another system you can swap around parts (or integrated graphics on your mobo you can test) do you?

unfortunately i dont :/ but heres my psu supply info:

Speedfan Readings:

3.3V : 3.41V
+12V : 11.80V
5vsb : 5.07V

PSU Info:
Demon Silver Chrome ATX Switching Power Supply

Those numbers look fine to me, and given the fact that your PSU has been OK for 5 months now I am going to assume you have enough Watts for your system.

I'd say your video card is now the prime suspect. Can you post a screenshot for us of the problems you are seeing?

Sure. but how do i get a screen shot of the monitor while it is booting up (so you can see the random characters)?

I've had a similar problem before now with a geforce 440MX agp card.

I thought it was the card itself for ages, and trying a new card had it working fine. However, I've recently put that same card into different PC which I built from old parts to give to a friend, and it worked fine.
Go figure! lol

Here are the screen shots while booting my computer:

This is the first thing that comes up when i boot my computer:

Booting Pic 1

Every screen after that until windows loading screen is like this:

Booting Pic 2

Even when running in safe mode there are still blue lines like the first link screen shot in the back ground.

Spike, was is the motherboard that was the problem?

My 2 cents:

1) Failing RAM.
2) Failing video card
3) failing PSU

Quick Check:
1) Reseat RAM
2) Reseat video card
3) Unplug everything not req'd to boot.

Longer Fix:
1) Boot with 1 stick of RAM (if possible)
2)turn down the Core and memory timings on the 6600GT card (nVidia Tools)
3)Throw PSU out the Window and buy good replacement.

Cheers. Let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back