Monitor Not Detecting Installed New Video Card and 1GB RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a new video card - EVGA 128-A8-N292-LX GeForce 6200LE 128MB 64-bit DDR AGP 8X Video Card - Retail

and Also a 1GB RAM - pqi 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Desktop Memory - Retail

I am running windows xp with 512RAM and I had a old geforce video card.

My problem is that when I put in the new video card and the ram it didn't start up. It didn't detect my monitor. I took both the objects out and tried again and it still wouldn't detect the monitor. I tried plunging it on my on board monitor but that did not work either. I used 2 other monitors and that didn't work either. I took out my batteries on my motherboard for around 20 min but that didn't do anything either. I have no idea on how to fix this problem. I think something happened to my motherboard but I'm not too sure. I don't know much about hardware if anyone has any ideas on what I could do that would be awesome!

Try putting the old RAM and video card back in. If it works, it's not the motherboard. When you say "It didn't start up", do you mean your pc wouldn't boot, or it booted and just wouldn't recognize the monitor??
It could be that your motherboard doesn't like the brand of RAM, or are you sure your board takes that specific manufacturer's RAM? Some boards are tricky and will only operate with a well know brand. Also, did you replace the RAM you had in it, or did you add to that RAM?? It could also be a bad video card as well. Try your original configuration first and then work your way up from there. This way, you can eliminate one possibility before moving on to the next one. If the original configuration works, try replacing the video card next with the new one BUT only use the original RAM. If that works, my bet is the new RAM is bad, or the mobo doesn't like the brand you purchased.

You will not get any motherboard POST messages if your video card or motherboard is broken, also if you put in the video card incorrectly or have incompatible hardware you will not see POST messages. You have already eliminated your monitor as being the problem by changing monitors. Motherboard POST messages are those messages you see as your motherboard starts up and tests itself. If you don't normally see those massages then hit escape as your motherboard boots.

To correctly install a new video card you need to first download but not install the new driver for the new video card and then uninstall the old video card driver then turn off your computer. Take out the old video card and put in the new video card making sure to firmly seat the card and connect all the extra power leads if there are any. It seems you have already reset your BIOS, but usually there is a jumper on your motherboard that will clear your BIOS when you set it to its second position. The jumper is usually set to short pins zero and one while the board operates. To clear the BIOS you need to take out the battery and then short pins one and two for ten seconds or so. Replace the jumper to pins zero and one and reinstall the battery. Reboot and press the special key that allows you to enter your BIOS (probably F1 or F2 or Delete or Escape), disable your on board video chip (if you have one) and save the settings as you exit the BIOS. Boot your computer and install the new video card driver. Reboot.

Please give us a complete list of the devices that comprise your computer. If you bought any prebuilt computer please give us the brand, model number, processor type and speed, operating system etc etc. It will help to determine if you need a BIOS up date and maybe solve your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back