Monitor problem and data

Hi all,
I hope someone can help me with this one. Recenlty, every time booted up, monitor made slight crackling sound, screen would flicker but monitor would work.
Gateway said is likely problem w/ power supply of monitor. PC is 10 years old.
So I started to get data off pc as fast as possible.

Today, monitor made LOT of crackling noises and screen just went black. Un- and replugging power cord to monitor made no diff. Before, this would help stop the crackling. Now, if I reboot system OR just replug in monitor, hear the monitor click on and off. Monitor power button is lit green. Screen remains black! Is also funny smell like ?glue but not a burning smell!

I am frantic in getting remaining data removed from harddrive. What can I do? I do not have spare monitor. I only 5 year old laptop.

a) Is monitor problem power-supply related? If it ISN'T, shouldn't that mean hooking up another monitor will solve this?

b) If use another monitor, with newer models, do I need special cord, connector type and even software on the old pc to recognize substitute monitor?

c) is there such a thing as rent a monitor?!

d) is there a way to hook the old pc to my laptop so I can get at data? How would I do this?

e) anyone have suggestions? my only concern is to get the data off the hardrive.

somone suggested moving harddrive but i have no experience with taking from motherboard and then trying to get some other computer to read it.

f) i also have hand impairment, no car and cannot take this pc to repair shop. is there a reputable pc repair company if that is my last choice?

thanks in advance for any one that can help me.

FeanX :(

Doesn't sound to me like there is anything wrong with the PC. You just need a new monitor. Look up 17" LCD monitors, they are cheap. If you can't afford an LCD then check Craigslist, someone may be willing to give you a CRT monitor, and maybe even deliver just because you have to pay a disposal fee most places to get rid of them.

If you don't want to do either of those options. Purchase a USB dock or bare external enclosure that supports PATA/IDE drives (both of these must have their own power supply for a desktop drive). I'm making the assumption the drive is a PATA/IDE drive because of the age of the desktop, you'll want to confirm by taking the side of the case off and looking to see if it has a wide and flat ribbon with 40/80pins or a thin more stiff smaller and flat cable (SATA). Google 'IDE Ribbon' and 'SATA Cable' to see what they look like. If by chance yours is SATA (unlikely at 10yrs old) you'll need a USB-SATA dock rather than a USB-IDE (if those are even made).

Options

Hello sngx1275,
thks for the help! what will a usb dock do?

i may be buying a new desktop. a) can i possibly connect new monitor to old pc? the new monitor will likely be flat screen etc. will my old desktop be able to recognize new monitor?
that is, do i need special cables and software like drivers, etc so can hook to old pc?
b) is there risk it can mess up manufacturer's video settings on my new desktop by hooking up old pc to it?
c) how hard is it to set up a "network"? that is, link up old harddrive tower to new pc and use only ONE monitor to view all HD contents?

Thanks everyone -
Feanx

USB dock is just a way to take a desktop (or laptop) hard drive out of one PC and you put it in a 'dock' that connects to another PC via a USB cable. I'm not entirely sure they make ones for PATA/IDE drives... Its just IMO a little nicer solution than building your own external by buying an external enclosure, but that way is definitely nicer if you are going to be taking the drive on travel or something.

a) Yes. In fact, many new LCD monitors have 2 video inputs (In the low to mid price range 1 is usually VGA the other is DVI), so you could have 2 PCs connected to 1 monitor, and just switch back and forth with a button on the monitor. The monitor will probably come with a VGA cable, might not come with DVI. You can buy both for real cheap at monoprice.com if you are in the US. You may not have to buy any if your current monitor's cable disconnects at the monitor (but many CRT displays didn't have that).

b) Question doesn't make sense as written. But the answer is no. Not really sure what you were getting at, but at worst case you boot your PC up in "VGA" mode by pressing F8 right before the Windows splash screen, and then choose VGA mode. Then adjust your video settings once you get to an 800x600 desktop.

c) Not hard at all if you have a hub or router. You would need to set up remote desktop on the machine you didn't want to have physically connected to a monitor, but in part "a" you could have them both connected. The problem with that is you'd need 2 keyboards and 2 mice. Although, you could use a program like Synergy to get by with 1 keyboard and mouse.

hi sngx1275,
a)yes the old monitor disconnects at both ends - that is at monitor end, connector is one with x number of pins and has 2 screws to tighten - is that what you mean?

b) you haven't mention things like video drivers or software. when i attach these old pieces of equipment to newer machines, isn't there going to be problem in detecting and recognizing?
r u saying i s/b able to just connect old monitor to new pc and it just works?? no software installs and all that?

c) what i meant was, of little i know, equipment etc. has its own settings etc and when plug something into it - it auto-detects and reads it.
given that i wouldn't know how to re-set something if went wrong, i thought new monitor may NOT then recognize my new pc after plugging it back in from old pc. Q is can that happen?

d) remote desktop on old pc? am i going to be able to set it up? the old monitor is dead. i only have the functioning tower. how would i be able to "see" and set up remote desktop on it?

thnks again for sharing your knowledge with me sngx1275.
i am so frantic and frustrated over this and i do not have much money to spend on fixing and buying a new one.

someone thought to buy / find old monitor as being easiest. thing is shipping cost alone to get to me is about what old monitor is worth :confused:

FeanX

a) Yes.

b) 1. Not really. 2. Yep. If you are going to stay running XP on the new machine, then yeh, you'll need video card drivers, but you'll still be able to use the system without them, it will just be at a low resolution. If you use Windows 7 you'll have good resolution, just maybe not the optimum drivers, all of that can be fixed once you are online though.

c) The monitor won't care.

d) You'd just connect the old PC to the new monitor temporarily to get Remote Desktop set up in Windows.

Don't think you'll find anyone to buy the monitor as that seems to be the source of your problem, so the monitor is dead. In fact, to dispose of it you'll probably have to pay a fee.

Back