Monitor problem confirmation

Hi, my monitor, an Acer 1751, just started experiencing problems. I've had the monitor for quite a few years now so the warranty has expired and there has never been any problems with it before. I believe that the monitor may have reached its lifespan but I'm not confident enough with my tech knowledge to throw it away just yet and am wondering if there is a way to fix it.

The details:

-The computer boots up just fine. I built it myself and it has a corsair 750W silver certified PSU and a Gigabyte Geforce 460 GTX GPU. I'm currently using an HDMI cable and connecting it to my TV, which displays just fine.

-The monitor itself powers on.

-In the beginning, an image would appear and quickly dissappear (I have the two displays set to duplicate).

-The light on the power button is not in sleep mode, so it is indeed registering an input from the computer, it's just not displaying it.

Is the monitor broken beyond repair as I've suspected or is there an easy fix to this that I haven't thought of? Thank you for your time.

Need more info.

Are you using the acer with the tv simultaneously?
Can you use the tv or another monitor to check the temp of your graphics card?
Either as mentioned above, check the monitor on another pc or vice versa.
More of your pc's specs, like mine...

Intel i3 2.93 Duo
ATi Radeon HD 4750 512mb GDDR3
4GB DDR3 Ram
1TB Hitachi HD 7200rpm
Win7 HE

Do you leave your computer sytem on all the time? I noticed monitors that are left on 24/7 can have capacitors ware out and turn into a balloon like shape and even leak out a small amount of solution. This is a super easy and cheep fix if you know a little about Electronic components and are handy with a soldering gun. If you break it open and discover this is the problem, make sure to buy the new capacitors with the same specs labeled. You can probably pick them up at your local Radio Shack. To prolong the life of your computer and monitor, I tell people to turn their systems off at night. Saves them from bying a new computer and saves on power.
Bad_Capacitor_01.jpg

Back