Monitor switching to Default Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFox

This is not the first problem Ive had with my vx922, but it's far more perplexing than my first, which I corrected with a new video card. ATI x1600.

That card took a crap, and now I have an ATI x1550.

Put simply, my monitor keeps switching to the Default Monitor in my Device Manager, but only when the monitor has been off for a while. 15 minutes or more. It's difficult to say when this started, since I was on deployment when my wife told me about it.

Pretty much the scenario is that I switch off, or Restart, no problem. But If I leave the computer off for more than 15 minutes, then turn it back on, I have to switch to the DVI cable, wait a second, then switch back to the VGA cable before my screen becomes visible.

After doing this, if I go to the Device Manager, the Monitor will be Default Monitor. If I "scan for hardware changes", my vx922 shows up.

I have the latest drivers for everything, from mobo to monitor.

MrFox,
you've been around for a while now... What kind of system are you having this trouble with? Provide us with some system specs if you please.

Are you running the latest ATI/catalyst drivers? Do you have Microsoft's .NET framework installed?

Sure thing,...

Intel P4 w/HT
Intel 865GBF
ATI Radeon x1550 (VisionTek)
1GB Corsair RAM (2x 512)
Antec 400w PS
Creative SB Audigy2
Western Digital 250GB HDD (master)
Western Digital 40GB HDD (slave)
(3 1/4" floppy, DVD, CD-ROM)

Yes, ATI/Catalyst driver is up to date, as well as my monitor drivers.
vx922 driver version 1.5.2.43
ATI driver version 8.421.00

Display adapter folder does show this in Device Manager list.

-VisionTek Radeon X1550 Series
-VisionTek Radeon X1550 Series Secondary

Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem, but all my video cards have always installed that way..

Fortunately, I do have another VX922 for my wife. I just have to catch her when she's not gaming. =) I do have a few other monitors laying around, and they work fine.

More to follow...

turning monitor off first works...

Well, although it still blanks out between windows and some game starts, I figured out how to turn on the computer without it failing to start the monitor properly.

I usually keep the monitor powered up, even though the computer is off. At least the light is always on. However, if I turn off the monitor completely, then power up my comupter and wait until enough time has passed to allow the login screen to apear; then turn on the monitor, everything is working fine.

I still haven't checked it out on my wife's monitor. But at least I can get it to start up. I'll experiment with this a bit more.

Yes MrFox,
it's ok to leave the monitor "on"... It should go into the power save mode (green led to amber) normally when the computer shuts down

Tmagic650 said:
Yes MrFox,
it's ok to leave the monitor "on"... It should go into the power save mode (green led to amber) normally when the computer shuts down
Sorry, but I think you missed my point. If I turn the monitor off first, completely, then turn on the computer and wait for it to boot all the way to the login screen, I can then turn on the monitor and my screen is good to go.

However, if I start the computer while the monitor is in "stand-by", it will blank out after the Windows Logo screen and flash the power light. At that point, I can sometimes get it to come on by switching to the DVI cable and then back to Analog; or just turn the monitor off and on. But I usually have to power down the computer and try again and again using those methods until it comes on.

By turning the monitor completely off and waiting for Windows to completely boot up before turning it back on, I am able to avoid the frustration of turning the computer off and on repeatedly.

It has to be a "defective" monitor... Switch it with your wife's and see if the problem follows with her system. If it does, you know it's the monitor for sure, simple right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back