Monitor won't stay on at startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
yesterday, i moved my computer into another room. since then, the computer boots up, but the moniter clicks to come on, then immediately turns back off (light goes to orange).

i brought down my other moniter that i KNOW works cuz it's the one i'm using now, and it did the same thing with this moniter. so, it's something to do with the moniter port.

before i get brave and open the side of my HP a1700n computer and start poking and moving things around to make sure they are in tight (which i am really scared of doing), can someone tell me specifically what sorts of things i am looking for to jiggle around and try to tighten? i've been reading this forum, and i don't think it's my motherboard or video card driver, because the computer was working perfectly fine just literally minutes before i moved it to the new room.

ugh. i need that computer to work. it has all my business stuffs on it, and i can't even get the screen to stay on for a second to see what might be happening, extract info off, etc.

please help! DESPERATE here. thank you.

Windows XP or VISTA machine? Desktop or laptop? The more information you can give to us, the more likely we will be able to help.
It is likely that you have caused a cable to become too loose... but we need more info.

Desktop. Vista.

all the cables are secure. i checked all that. i also tried several other moniters. does the same thing with them all.

as soon as the connector touches that plug in area on the back side of the computer, the moniter shuts off immediately. ugh

I am also having the same problem!!! All I did was that I plugged out the power cable from my monitor to use it on another monitor to test it and when I plugged it back, the monitor always shows the orange light (No signal)! It was working fine minutes ago!! I am using the 8800GT video card. Someone please help us! Thanks!

i left it all unplugged for 24 hours. this afternoon, i wiggled n jiggled and made sure everything inside was tight. i plugged it back into the video card, turned everything on, and viola now it works.

:confused: i'm super happy, but i think my video card is on the blink, and moving the computer made it act up. maybe i wasn't as gentle as i thought i was. i don't know. i can't find any other explanation.

so, i'll see how long it lasts. going to do a MAJOR backup tonight though, just in case.

thanks for your help, everyone. crazy darn machines make me crazy! :haha:

lol! so now your computer works by replugging everything after 24hours? hmm...not sure if i wanna go to that extend...mine still doesnt work...and yes Tmagic650, I have restarted the computer many times by pressing the Restart button as restarting the com using the keyboard to navigate doesnt give me any response...

batigoal turn off\unplug your power supply for 10 minutes and plug it back in, you may just need to reset your video card. If that doesn't work id reseat my video card if I was you. By the way your more likely to get help if you make your own thread instead of jumping onto someone elses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back