Monitor won't stay on

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I've got an interesting problem that I hope has a solution. I have a Gateway HD2200 monitor hooked up to my computer which is running dual 8800GTX with SLI. I just updated my video drivers and since then my monitor won't stay on. I'll turn on my computer, it'll display the POST and the initial vista loading screen, but right when it should go to the login screen, my monitor displays "No Signal" and then goes to standby mode. It won't come out of standy, even after I login (without being able to see the screen that is). I plugged my brother's monitor into my computer and it displayed just fine, the computer had successfully logged in. However, I plugged the Gateway into my brother's computer and it worked fine as well (I booted his computer hooked up to the monitor as well just to make sure).

Now, the kicker is, I plugged the monitor back into my computer without changing anything, and it booted just fine, twice. However, the next day.... same problem. I'm at a loss, I'm thinking that since it only started after I updated my video drivers that it might be that, but I'm not sure how to roll back my drivers on vista. I'm going to continue to play with it, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Cole.

well, I know this may be silly but I had a friend getting the same type of problem on a Dell. That solution turned out to be a bad connection/cable. Reseating the cable to the machine solved the problem. Wish I could offer more. GOOD LUCK!

Well, I have some more information. I was playing with it and saw the outline of my desktop. It was displaying it, but so dark (the backlight is out I'm guessing) that I barely noticed it. I realized that it was definitely the monitor because the monitor menu (which is obviously completely independant from the computer) is coming up fine, but is too dark to read as well. However, just as before, when I first start the computer it displays the POST just fine, so the backlight is working.... sometimes. Also, when I unplug the DVI from the back of the monitor and plug it back in, the screen will flash full brightness showing my desktop, and then immediately go dark again. I would rather not dish out the money for a brand new monitor, especially when this one works every now and again. So the question is, are there any solutions?

-Cole

Oh, and it's not under warranty by a month..... what timing....

Could it be that the motherboard has gone kaput. If the motherboard has gone then surely that may well eplain the fact that the problem is still there, would it not. Im just theroizing here.

second therory: brtnrdr44, did you try another cable between your monitor and your PC? maybe the cables up the duff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back